Virus or XP? loooong shutdown, slow, Sym_U3.sys missing During Recovery Console Startup

Hski

Hi:

I've got a Dell Latitude C400 1.33 running Win XP Pro sp3. The computer has been running fine. The other day as I started up the computer, a blue screen came on saying the computer needed to run chkdsk. As it ran, I noticed it was removing a bunch of what looked like system type files and some exe's. It finished and the computer started up. Since then, the computer has had startup problems: once, it didn't recognize my firewall (it said it couldn't start it) so I removed the firewall and reinstalled. Firewall starts now. Overall, the startup is slower than previously, and most things are much slower.

More importantly, it is very difficult to shutdown and powerdown the computer. It take a few minutes (if ever) for the computer to shutdown (get to the part that asks if I want to restart etc.), and a few or more minutes for it to powerdown after that, if at all. I've had to push the power buttom a few times as well.

I've run a ton of virus and malware including: avira antivirus (running all the time), kaspersky internet suite 2009 (on demand), Spybot, Rogue Remover, Super Antispyware, and Malaware Anti-Malware. Nothing found.

I then tried to run the Recovery Console at startup (which I installed with another forum's help--I don't have the XP disks anymore, to figure out a previous problem, but never actually ran it before). As the Recovery Console started up, I got the following error message: "The file Sym_U3.sys could not be found" . The Recovery Console wouldn't finish starting up after that so I had to exit and let the computer finish starting up normally. I also tried to search the computer for the Sym_U3.sys file but couldn't find it. I also managed to do a "normal" check disk; ran ok.

I also noticed that the longer I use the computer the harder and longer it takes to shutdown. If I start the computer, then shut it down, it shuts down fine. So...what's going on? Is this a virus of some kind or did something affect my XP operating system? HELP! I can barely use the computer.

Here is a HJT file (downloaded HJT today). Thanks!

Harry

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 5:17:39 PM, on 10/28/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe

C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oaui.exe

C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oahlp.exe

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oacat.exe

C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\ievkbd.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Update Class - {F286500C-177A-4316-9E88-9814FBB1DC3D} - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\1.1.27.3\GoopdateBho.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [@OnlineArmor GUI] "C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oaui.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CGFLoader] C:\Program Files\Calibrize\CalibrizeLoader.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/reso...an8/oscan8.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvk bd3.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\WINDOWS\

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

O23 - Service: Kaspersky Internet Security (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\avp.exe

O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe

O23 - Service: Online Armor Helper Service (OAcat) - Tall Emu - C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oacat.exe

O23 - Service: Online Armor (SvcOnlineArmor) - Tall Emu - C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

--

End of file - 4662 bytes

Your running two active antivirus programs. Pick Kasperskys or Avira and take the one you don't want to run active out of auto start. This alone can be the root of your problems. Second please follow the instructions here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936

Thanks. I uninstalled Kaspersky on your advice (I had spoken with Kaspersky who said the dll's that were running were only used when I ran the Kaspersky scan). The uninstall made no difference. I also ran Spybot again (and immunized), MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Panda ActiveScan (man was THAT difficult!). Doesn't seem like either one discovered anything important, but I'll let you be the judge. The problems I've written about are still present. Thanks for you help!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30

Database version: 1337

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

10/29/2008 4:55:47 PM

mbam-log-2008-10-29 (16-55-47).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 45935

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

;*******************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

Panda ActiveScan ANALYSIS: 2008-10-30 09:46:57

PROTECTIONS: 1

MALWARE: 12

SUSPECTS: 0

;*******************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

PROTECTIONS

Description Version Active Updated

;===============================================================================

================================================================================

=

===================

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition 8.0.1.30 Yes Yes

;===============================================================================

================================================================================

=

===================

MALWARE

Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location

=

===================

00139060 Cookie/Casalemedia TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.casalemedia.com/]

00139060 Cookie/Casalemedia TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.casalemedia.com/]

00139061 Cookie/Doubleclick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.doubleclick.net/]

00139064 Cookie/Atlas DMT TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.atdmt.com/]

00145457 Cookie/FastClick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.fastclick.net/]

00145457 Cookie/FastClick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.fastclick.net/]

00145731 Cookie/Tribalfusion TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.tribalfusion.com/]

00145738 Cookie/Mediaplex TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.mediaplex.com/]

00167753 Cookie/Statcounter TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.statcounter.com/]

00167753 Cookie/Statcounter TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.statcounter.com/]

00168090 Cookie/Serving-sys TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.serving-sys.com/]

00168090 Cookie/Serving-sys TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.serving-sys.com/]

00168093 Cookie/Serving-sys TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.bs.serving-sys.com/]

00169190 Cookie/Advertising TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.advertising.com/]

00169190 Cookie/Advertising TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.advertising.com/]

00172221 Cookie/Zedo TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.zedo.com/]

00172221 Cookie/Zedo TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.zedo.com/]

00191644 Cookie/adultfriendfinder TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.adultfriendfinder.com/]

00191644 Cookie/adultfriendfinder TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4nigtf7z.default\cookiesnew.txt[.adultfriendfinder.com/]

Here's a new HJT

Scan saved at 5:48:15 PM, on 10/30/2008

Running processes:

C:\PROGRA~1\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Update Class - {F286500C-177A-4316-9E88-9814FBB1DC3D} - C:\Program

Files\Google\Update\1.1.27.3\GoopdateBho.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [@OnlineArmor GUI] "C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oaui.exe"

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network

Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) -

http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program

Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir

PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive

Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe

O23 - Service: Online Armor Helper Service (OAcat) - Tall Emu - C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oacat.exe

O23 - Service: Online Armor (SvcOnlineArmor) - Tall Emu - C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

--

End of file - 4712 bytes

OK the HJT must come after the MBAM scan. Please go into notepad and un check wrap text until we are done here. It makes the HJT log split lines and harder to read. Please update MBAM run a quick scan and post that log and a new HJT log. Let me know what your symptoms are if any now.

Thanks. I've reinstalled uphclean.exe which has helped considerably, but startup and shutdown are still slow. Here are MBAM and HJT newest logs.

Scan saved at 11:56:41 AM, on 10/31/2008

Running processes:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Update Class - {F286500C-177A-4316-9E88-9814FBB1DC3D} - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\1.1.27.3\GoopdateBho.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--

End of file - 4734 bytes

Database version: 1343

10/31/2008 11:53:52 AM

mbam-log-2008-10-31 (11-53-52).txt

Objects scanned: 45868

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Please do not install new programs until we are done cleaning. Run HJT again in scan only and put a check next to the following items then click fix.

There has been an update to MBAM please update and scan. Post your HJT log after the MBAM scan as I requested earlier. I don't think that your issues are malware related. Since your getting messages that files are missing, you might want to review a self help I have done and used successfully in the PC Self Help forum to scan with the System File Checker and repair and replace missing files. I doubt that the disk error scan was removing files at all it might have been repairing them.

As directed, please see below the MBAM scan done with latest version and the subsequent HJT scan done after fixing the 4 items you noted. I will take a look at the self help tutorial you mentioned on system file checker. Considering you mentioned I should make no changes until we are finished here, should I take any action as a result of the tutorial or wait? FWI: when the startup dskchk did it's thing, it most definitely was deleting files among other things, including at least 1 .exe file; perhaps it was also replacing them but it happened so fast I couldn't tell.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Database version: 1345

10/31/2008 2:38:44 PM

mbam-log-2008-10-31 (14-38-44).txt

Objects scanned: 45923

Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Scan saved at 2:43:28 PM, on 10/31/2008

Running processes:

C:\Program Files\SMC\SMCWCB-G WLAN Cardbus\Monitor.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent

O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab

--

End of file - 4848 bytes

Hi yes go ahead and run the tutorial, as I said before I don't think your issues are malware. Both logs are clean. I'll post some prevention advice, and if you need help with the other issue post to the PC Help forum, this allows more people to post to you and is the proper forum.

Many infections can be avoided with an added layer of prevention. All recommended programs are free and easy on system resources. You should install them as part of your protection arsenal. Keep MBAM and Spybot Search & Destroy and always immunize SBS&D when you update. You will also need at least one other scanning program Asquared or SuperAntiSpyware are good and there are several other excellent programs with free and paid versions. Read the overviews of what each program below does so you have an understanding of their importance and how to use.

A firewall and antivirus are also essential. The Windows firewall in XP and Vista is not sufficient.

Preform Windows Updates monthly on the second Tuesday or use automatic updates, and use your scanners weekly at the least. Always update before you scan.

Keep other software known for vulnerabilities updated also. Use the Secunia Inspector free scan to identify risks in outdated versions.

SpywareBlaster from Javacool Software

WinPatrol by BillPStudios

SiteHound by FireTrust

RogueRemover

hpHosts

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must. I use and recommend Online Armor Free

Also the full protection of MBAM is offered at a very low price, from the link in my signature.

To the best of my knowledge, I386 is the folder you must point the registry key to. I have not used it on any SP3 machines. To start the system file checker you do as it is written in the tutorial. Go to Start > Run and type in sfcscannow and hit enter.

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting into it. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply to your machine. Please start a thread of your own and someone will be happy to help you.