Windows Defender Blows

This is so ridiculous I just had to come here and create an account so I could post about it.

My Windows machine recently became infected with a trojan, the one that tells you your hard drive is bad and tries to scam you into buying some crappy software to fix it.

I have windows defender running in the background. Windows defender did not detect the trojan at all, so I ran a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes. Malwarbytes detected the trojan and prompted to resart the PC to finish cleaning up the infected files.

Once the PC restarted, Windows defender promptly blocked Malwarebytes from running and hence blocked it's ability to clean the affected files. I couldn't even unblock it before the malware took over and effectively disable my PC.

How lame is that? Not only was Windows Defender not able to detect and remove the malware, it was blocking the program that could. In fact, now that I think about it, I have been running Windows Defender for quite a long time, yet I cannot recall as single instance of Windows defender ever detecting or removing any maleware whatsoever. It makes me wonder if it does anything at all besides use up system resources.

So which is worse, the malware, or the program the blocks other programs from being able to remove the malware?

Hello jwitt98: :D

We are sorry to hear that your system is infected, if you still need assistance and looking for a solution (no charge) then please read and follow the instructions in I'm infected - What do I do now? An Expert will assist you in removal process. Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the Help Desk

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

I think the file you are talking about is System Tool 2011, if not then, my bad.

I think Windows Defender is a quick helper, like a one time scan, it's not to be used as an AV.

Not so. Windows defender is a Microsoft anti-malware program, that does little to nothing to protect your system. Here is the description copied from Microsoft's Windows Defender web site:

Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive

As stated above, I have been running windows defender for years and not once has it ever detected a single infected file even though Malwarebytes and others have detected and removed know malicious malware and spyware and several occasions.

Hello jwitt98: :welcome:

We are sorry to hear that your system is infected, if you still need assistance and looking for a solution (no charge) then please read and follow the instructions in I'm infected - What do I do now? An Expert will assist you in removal process. Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the Help Desk

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

Thanks, but I already got rid of it (No help from Windows Defender)