mbam!!! freezed!!!!!

hello i am new to this forum but recently my friend was surfing the internet and in his downloads something said download complete and next thing he knew he had popups and the usual you need to purchase this program and that program etc to get rid of this virus warnings. after this he lost internet connection because of the virus, and then his "my computer" dissapeared and alot of his documents dissapeared also. He finally figured out how to run mbam on the pc since it wouldnt start automatically, but during the scan it freezes he says when it reaches 32. im not sure but i dont think its 32 files scanned but its like 32 something in his files or something im not sure, but i am sure it freezes and in task manager it says mbam is not responding. please help because his computer will die i believe if we cant figure this out. He is running windows xp

windows xp

hello i am new to this forum but recently my friend was surfing the internet and in his downloads something said download complete and next thing he knew he had popups and the usual you need to purchase this program and that program etc to get rid of this virus warnings. after this he lost internet connection because of the virus, and then his "my computer" dissapeared and alot of his documents dissapeared also. He finally figured out how to run mbam on the pc since it wouldnt start automatically, but during the scan it freezes he says when it reaches 32. im not sure but i dont think its 32 files scanned but its like 32 something in his files or something im not sure, but i am sure it freezes and in task manager it says mbam is not responding. please help because his computer will die i believe if we cant figure this out. He is running windows xp

windows xp

Hi There.

Important!

All of the following instructions must be run on the affected computer. Logs from a different computer will not help me help you. So, if you need to download all of this and then copy it to cd or memory stick and take it to the other computer, please do so. Either way, it's important; The logs have to be made by the computer with the problem.

I need you to follow the instructions provided here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 first.

I also need for you to download this program http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTListIt.exe to your desktop.

* Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop

* Double-click on the OTListIt.exe file to start OTListIt. OK any warning about running OTListIt.

* Place a checkmark in the "Scan All Users" checkbox (Leave the 'Use Whitelist' checked' and the 'File Age:' at 30 days)

* Click the Run Scan button

Note: Please be patient and let the scan run without using the computer

* When the scan is complete, a text file (OTListIt.Txt) will open in Notepad (if not, it can be found on your Desktop)

* In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy

* Reply to this topic, click in the topic reply window, and press Ctrl+V to paste the log

* Submit your reply and close the Notepad window with OTList.txt

* Also OTListIt's Extras.txt log file will be minimised in the Taskbar (and located on your Desktop) - click on this and maximise the window

* In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy

* Reply to this topic again, click in the topic reply window, and press Ctrl+V to paste the extras log

If the files (OTListIt.txt, Extras.txt) do not appear in your taskbar, just open the files in notepad; they will be on your desktop.

Please allow me time to analyze your post. If you don't see a reply from me after 24 hours, feel free to PM me.

wow i was hoping i wouldnt have to do all of this......was hoping i could just do it on there pc. kinda confusing but ill try it

You should do it all from there pc, yes. That's the idea. The computer with the problem is the one that should be used to perform those steps whenever it's possible.

and post the logs here?? how can i do the first part if the scan freezes?

Just do your best to acquire as many logs from the apps as you can. For the ones that freeze and do not complete, skip them. I'll work with whatever logs you can provide.