portscan worm detection

Hi, Jean:

I will try to do that but its hard when my internet got disconnected. Anyhow just wanted ask a general computer question. I am renting a place which i use the owner's router to connect to internet. As mentioned, my computer was attacked and worm detected with " portscan " and the weird thing is that the ip attacker and attacking address is same. My antivirus program blocked this portscan. I am not sure if this is really harmful or not.

Maybe the owners computer is infected with virus and I am affected by it?

Can you provide instruction on how to locate my own id address?

Thanks

Well, you have to be connected to the internet to be alerted to an"attack" . So in light of that, there is no reason not to follow instructions. General PC questions are asked in PC Help. Port scans are not an attack. They happen all the time. You don't give enough details to make an intelligent assesssment of what actually happened. If your not going to following the instructions to see if you are infected I'm closing this topic.

A little bit about your IP address (Internet Protocol address). When you connect to the internet, either via your internet service provider (AOL, Prodigy, etc.), or your office LAN connection, you are assigned an IP address. This address identifies your computer from the other computers on the internet. Your IP address can be either static, meaning it never changes, or dynamic, meaning each time you dial-in or login you are assigned a new address for that session. Check with your internet service provider or network administrator to find out if your computer uses static or dynamic IP addressing.

If you want to see your settings, in Windows 95/98 try the following:

Go to Start/Run and do the command winipcfg

That will bring up a network screen with your values.

Windows 2000 and XP you can go to a command prompt and do:

ipconfig

On the Macintosh to get your IP address try the following:

Apple Menu --> Control Panels --> TCP/IP Control Panel

On Mac OS X:

1. Open system preferences

2. Under internet and network, click 'network'

It will show you your IP address..

If you receive a dynamic IP address from your internet provider, it will likely be different on your next session. So if you need your IP address for later use, please check when you log on for that session.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this topic has had no reply for over 5 days it will be closed to prevent other from posting into it. Should you decide to resume with your assistance PM any staff member and we will be happy to reopen the topic.

Note: the fixes in this topic are for this system only. Applying them to your system can cause severe damage and result in utter system failure. If you need help start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.