Adware.Agent.BN & WinSpywareProtect

My cousin's laptop has recently been infected with rogue viruses. The virus installed WinSpywareProtect and Antivirus 2008 Pro. I was able to remove AV2008, but have been unsuccessful with WSP. The infected computer is having problems accessing websites. The only ones that are available are the sites that the malware is trying to scam him into purchasing a license to the bogus software. I put hijackthis on a flash drive and put it on his laptop.

The virus bombards us with virus alert popups. He has spyware doctor on his laptop and I was able to use that to remove all the other trojans, etc. But adware.agent.bn keeps coming back.

I tried manually removing the files and registry components but the files that sites tell me I should delete cannot be found.

The virus edits settings to make the control panel, my programs, and the all programs menu disappear. I do not know how to bring my programs and all programs back.

It keeps disabling Task Manager. I first edited the registry settings to disable remove task manager, but the virus keeps adapting. It know disables me from using the regedit command in normal mode.

Is there anything I can do? I have been unsuccessful at adding new removal software to the infected pc, and I do not have the technical knowledge to remove the thread manually.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 09:54: VIRUS ALERT!, on 7/10/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe

C:\Program Files\Lexmark 4300 Series\ezprint.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1172577524\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe

C:\Program Files\PC Tools AntiVirus\PCTAV.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\m3IMPipe.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe

C:\Program Files\PC Tools AntiVirus\PCTAVSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcecoms.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\mellba miller.DHSNP2C1\Application Data\U3\020031709270B9A7\LaunchPad.exe

F:\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5061108

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://softwarereferral.com/jump.php?wmid=...6Ojg5&lid=2

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...rch/search.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5061108

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo!

Hi skeoff and welcome to Malwarebytes. Please move HJT to the main drive for this machine, usually C. Put MBAM on a flash drive also and install it on the machine. Run a quick scan with MBAM and a new HJT log, from the C drive. Post both logs in your next reply.

Hi skeoff and welcome to Malwarebytes. Please move HJT to the main drive for this machine, usually C. Put MBAM on a flash drive also and install it on the machine. Run a quick scan with MBAM and a new HJT log, from the C drive. Post both logs in your next reply.

I have MBAM on the infected computer, but it will not open. It says Run time error "0". I'm having problems putting the hjt on the c drive because the virus is hiding it from me. Is there anyway I can make it visible again?

This is the log from HJT after I moved it to the C drive on the infected computer. I am still unable to run the Mbam.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 2:53:58 PM, on 7/10/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe

C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5061108

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...rch/search.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us&ibd=5061108

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell.com/

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll

O3 - Toolbar: My Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo!

OK, just spoke to the author of MBAM, try reinstalling it as jean.exe.

Please upload these files C:\WINDOWS\fdxbameg.dll

C:\WINDOWS\fsrpknov.dll to here http://uploads.malwarebytes.org/ Then do the following.

Print or Copy these instructions to notepad and save to your Desktoop as you will be offline with all browsers closed for this fix.

Download:

Use this URL to download the latest version (the file contains both English and French versions):

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe

* Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe

* Select 1 and hit Enter to create a report of the infected files. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Clean:

* Reboot your computer in Safe Mode (before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually)

* Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe

* Select 2 and hit Enter to delete infect files.

* You will be prompted: Do you want to clean the registry ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

* The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found): Replace infected file ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to restore a clean file.

* A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

* Optional:

o To restore Trusted and Restricted site zone, select 3 and hit Enter.

o You will be prompted: Restore Trusted Zone ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to delete trusted zone.

Note:

process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool". It is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.

http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

Post the Smitfraud log and a new HJT log please.

Since this topic has had no reply for over 5 days it will be closed to prevent other from posting into it. Should you decide to resume with your assistance PM any staff member and we will be happy to reopen the topic.

Note: the fixes in this topic are for this system only. Applying them to your system can cause severe damage and result in utter system failure. If you need help start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.