Need advice following rogue "Internet Security 2010" removal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is the situation now?

This is true except that your system was infected very very seriously and we can't guarantee 100% cleaning.

It feels normal.

What about the ComboFix alert message? Does it mean a rootkit is still in place or could it be a false positive?

If ever that helps, I can give you the exact URL were I was infected. It was on a "seemingly" harmless website "www.modele-lettre.com".

I think this is a FP, but I've removed so that there is nothing to worry about.

About this URL: Why you're so sure?

Because I made a mistake. I was surfing with chrome when, on a given page of this website, I had a security warning by chrome. It stated there was a problem with the content on the next page. I decided to go anyway for reading purpose only, with no intent to follow a download link. I didn't know about these new threats that can install on the fly just from browsing a webpage.

"Internet Security 2010" actually popped a few seconds later. When I saw it, I turned my computer off as fast as I could but it was too late.

I have learnt the hard way :)

You say there's nothing to worry about : can I consider my computer "reliable" from now on (given I follow proper precautions against malware from now on?)