mbam assistance request

I am a new participant in this forum

I realized my PC was infected when I could not download Macafee antivirus software online.

I downloaded Malawarebytes, but cannot run it; window closes after a few seconds; tried renaming the exe file, does not help.

Saw a suggestion to run rootrepeal in a March 2009 post (topic=12709); when I did so, it found only 1 file, C:\hiberfil.sys, locked to the Windows API; presume this is not the Rootkit infection (does not have the prefix mentioned in the post) ?

If anyone can direct me to past posts or suggest next steps (in detail, I'm not very PC savvy), I would appreciate it.

Hello v_arun, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please read and follow the directions below so that someone can assist you in cleaning your system ;)

Please note that it may take 2-3 days to get a response, as it is quite busy in there.

If you don't receive a reply within 2-3 days, send a Private Message to an Admin (red names) or a Moderator (purple names) with a request for review. DO NOT reply to your own post asking for help; this makes it appear as though you are already receiving help and therefore it will take longer for your post to get reviewed.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Thank you ;)

As a side note, when replying, please use the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page or erase what the person you are replying to said, as this makes the forum easier to read.