iTunes question

I will be updating QuickTime (and I want to update iTunes as well) on a system tomorrow that has a very slow internet connection, so its not very possible to update internally from the program itself (as I know from updating internally myself that the updates tend to be very large, for example, my last couple of updates were at least 80 MB). I have downloaded the installer/setup files for both programs (just quicktime and then quicktime with iTunes) onto a flash drive.

My question is, does anyone know, if I uninstall iTunes, will the songs be kept on the system or will those be removed along with iTunes? I don't want to remove any of the songs but I don't want to leave the program not updated either.

I will be updating QuickTime (and I want to update iTunes as well) on a system tomorrow that has a very slow internet connection, so its not very possible to update internally from the program itself (as I know from updating internally myself that the updates tend to be very large, for example, my last couple of updates were at least 80 MB). I have downloaded the installer/setup files for both programs (just quicktime and then quicktime with iTunes) onto a flash drive.

My question is, does anyone know, if I uninstall iTunes, will the songs be kept on the system or will those be removed along with iTunes? I don't want to remove any of the songs but I don't want to leave the program not updated either.

The songs will be kept on the system, because itunes reads the file C:/***/my documents/my music/Itunes/****

When removing itunes, make sure you read all the "fine print" before uninstalling, but it should be fine to just uninstall, reinstall, and drag music in.

@mountaintree16

As long as the existing installation isn't broken, you can just update over the top of the existing and save a step. I've don't recall it ever failing this way if it was just a straight update. If it is broken, that's a whole other story and you may need to dig it out manually by deleting files and registry keys in order to get the new one in. I've seen this several times when neither the uninstall nor re-install would work on a broken installation. Just as a precaution, I've always backed up the music library into a separate temp directory (just in case) whenever I've had to do a manual removal. An external drive backup would be even better.

@ lyndonpace

Thank you for the information :) That helps.

Just as a note, in the future, please erase what the person you are replying to said or just hit the "Add reply" button at the bottom of the page to reply. This makes the forum easier to read. You can address the person like I did with you @lyndonpace or lyndonpace: :)

@ Jactkivity

Thank you for your reply!

So if I am understanding you correctly, I can just install iTunes and QuickTime on top of the already installed versions and most likely everything will be fine? I have done this for other programs, such as Pidgin, Firefox, and a few others with no problems.

I downloaded just the QuickTime installation and then the QuickTime/iTunes Combo too.

I have plenty of space left on my flash drive that I downloaded these installation files to, so I can just back up the music there before I do this :)