Private Internet Access Riskware

yummypugs
Go to solution Solved by Dashke,

Not sure where this is coming from, I'0m not connected to a server, PIA is open however. 

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 2/16/21
Protection Event Time: 11:10 PM
Log File: c4c2f3f6-70a3-11eb-acbb-244bfe58cee9.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.3.0.98
Components Version: 1.0.1173
Update Package Version: 1.0.37209
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-service.exe, Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0, , 

-Website Data-
Category: RiskWare
Domain: 
IP Address: 212.102.52.87
Port: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-service.exe

(end)

• Staff

Private Internet Access should be safe, but it seems that one of their IPs has been used by a trojan as malware command and control.

Command & control, also called C&C or C2, is a centralized server or computer that online criminals use to issue commands to control malware and bots as well as to receive reports from them.

If the notifications are too distracting for you, you can disable them in MB4 settings and continue being safe. :)

Thank you for the explanation. I've been in contact with PIA and I opened a ticket on PIA and I just sent the a follow-up email with more details. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. It looks like they were unaware of the problem but I'm spelling it out for them now. :) ipqualityscore.com for instance has this IP flagged as suspicious. What bothers me is that I had pia-service.exe running but it was not attached to anything. So, why is my PC trying to open up an Apache connection on there? This was an outbound connection. 

image.png

• 3 months later...