Potplayer adware FusionCore

Beenthere

Hi

Potplayer autoupdated itself few days ago.

I now did a scan with Malwarebytes and it found this (it was in temp folder but I transferred it to another folder so i can copy on a virtual machine)

image.thumb.png.3ce5091c7812d2c04edbf7dfff5a6f78.png

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/07834aec356f5ae44357b41d231f19345e315b629c7767b6d23f8e4a0cb60f4f/detection

I did a full scan with Malwarebytes, it found nothing.

Then, tried installing the above mentioned .exe (thought that the adware skipped my system because it was an autoupdate), on a virtual machine and there was no adware in the installer for checking/unchecking except for the last step shown below

image.png.9fec4f4b49a768e31caf3c86464f5e56.png

Now this OpenCodec has been with PotPlayer for a while, and I don't think that's the culprit.

I read this but while installing I wasn't asked for McAfee webadvisor or any other similar thing.

I did a fullscan on the virtual machine, Malwarebytes found nothing.

Edited by Beenthere

This doesn't appear to be a false positive. We detect this installer because it is bundled with a .DLL that belongs to an Adware family known as FusionCore ->  hYEBnFBwH.dll MD5: EDDA84B853315B732C1B26F1D9E042A4

I believe it is the "Install Additional Codec" option you have selected. We might lower the detection to PUP.Optional instead of Adware though after I have a chance to confer with my colleagues.

Thanks for your report

• 1 month later...

My Malwarebyte Premium report Adware.FusionCore in the C:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\potupdate\potplayersetup64_104-exe too after auto scan when starting machine few minute ago.

I have rich experience with AdwancedCystemCare where MBM found 6 threats like PUP (all modules).

Also after installation Duplicate File Finder dffsetupsbg_sysblog-best10duplicatefinder.exe