Annoying Pop-up Message Following Scheduled Scan

My copy of Malwarebytes recently updated to version 3.4.4. I have all notifications turned off in settings, but each time the computer runs an automatic scan, a pop-up appears on my screen telling me that the scan is complete and no problems have been found. This is a new issue that started happening with this latest version. I do not want this popup notification to occur.

Scheduling a scan for a 4:00 am start does not always work for me because I often work into the early morning hours. This pop-up notification upon a successful scan is a new issue with the latest version. In previous versions – if you had all notifications set to “off” and Malwarebytes performed a scan in the background, there was no popup notification. So, someone in the development department has changed the way the program operates.

The whole point of this is that Malwarebytes used to (and should continue) to operate silently in the background without disturbing the user unless some serious issue occurs that requires user action. Also, if we set all notifications to “off”, then they should all be off. There should not be ANY pop-ups unless a serious problem is detected. Another point that you need to consider is that very few people actually leave their computers on 24 hours a day, so setting a 4:00 am scan schedule is not a realistic solution for everyone. This also creates another problem for users. If a scan is set to start at 4:00 am and the computer is turned off for the night, then once it is restarted the following day, Malwarebytes runs the missed scan and the annoying pop-up occurs right in the middle of our work.

Since your technical support staff has told me that this new pop-up is an intended action, I must voice my disapproval.  I do understand your company’s reasoning behind this pop-up message.  However it should still be an option for advanced users to choose whether or not it occurs.  It may be fine for someone who is a novice to get some visual feedback on the health of their computer, but advanced users who find this a great annoyance should still be able to turn it off in the settings.

It is sad to see this change in Malwarebytes, and I am now forced to deal with it in my own way.

I have disabled all scheduled scans permanently so that I will not be bothered by these pop-ups any longer.  I will simply have to remember to run manual scans once in a while just to be safe.  Hmm… Be safe.  I thought that was my original reason for purchasing Malwarebytes.  To be safe and not have to worry about things like this.  Load the program and forget that it’s even there.  Those were the good old days.  Now, I will be painfully conscious of the fact that I will have to do these scans myself and not allow the program to do its intended job.

I know that I sound like I am full of sour grapes right now, but I just hate it when a company changes something that I both loved and recommended that other people buy and tells me that this is the way things are going to be and if you don’t like it, uninstall it.  That is something that I am also seriously considering at the moment.  I build and configure computers for between 75 and 100 customers each year.  I will no longer be recommending that they install (and pay for) Malwarebytes on their systems.  I will be looking for an alternative.

I thank you for your patience and understanding.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team