Hello and :welcome: :

EDIT: Your forum post subject says "AUTOMATIC SCAN", but your post refers to "AUTOMATIC UPDATES".

So, I'm not sure what follows answers your question -- are you talking about a scheduled scan or a scheduled update check???

Please will you advice how I can set my automatic updates to take place every day when I turn on my computer instead of at a designated time.

That sort of update schedule is not recommended, for a number of reasons.

First, the computer is "busy" with establishing networking and other important tasks upon a cold start, so a scheduled MBAM update check at that busy time could fail.

Second, the MBAM databases are updated 8-15 times per day on average, to stay ahead of zero-hour and zero-day threats. Updating only once a day would mean that your system would potentially be running on outdated definitions for most of the time you are using it.

So, the recommended automated update schedule for MBAM Premium is "hourly" with a "recurrence" of anywhere between 1 and 4 hours.  If MBAM is properly installed and configured from an Admin account, such update checks will occur silently, from the system account.  There is no input needed from the user and this will keep your MBAM definitions up to date.

If you really want to update ONLY when you reboot/restart the system (not recommended), then open the dashboard > settings > automated scheduling > double-click the update task to open it.  Then change the schedule frequency to "on reboot" (not recommended).

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,

More info about v2.2.0 HERE
Version 2.2.0 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Hi,

I appreciate your detailed reply, but unfortunately do not understand it.

I am a home consumer and not sure what you mean by networking etc. However - I guess, I do not need to understand what you are saying other than you are recommending that I do not do it on start up but therefore I have two options:

Either do it manually or make sure I turn my computer on at a stipulated time. That does not sound very safe. My virus protector does it automatically.

Hi:

Sorry for the confusion.

Let's back up a bit.

The title of your post refers to "AUTOMATIC SCAN".

But the body of your post refers to "AUTOMATIC UPDATES".

So, it would help us to better help you to know: do you need help with scheduling automatic SCANS or with automatic UPDATE CHECKS or with both of these?

We can go from there. :)

Thanks,

Ah, OK.

Our posts crossed in cyberspace. ;)

The answer is about the same, however.

It's not a good idea to schedule EITHER scans OR update checks to occur "on reboot" (even though that is an option in the available menus).

The bottom line is that the computer is busy with many computer chores immediately after a "cold start" after being powered off.

It's not a good time for MBAM to be checking for updates or to be trying to run a scheduled scan.

So, the default settings for MBAM Premium are best for most home users:

• A daily Threat scan (the time of which can be scheduled by the user -- we can show you how)
  • "Hourly" update checks every 1 to 4 hours (the time of which can be scheduled by the user -- we can show you how).

Please post back if you need more help with this.

:-)

Thanks, I commend you on your patience. Ok this is what I have

I have gone into Settings and Selected Automatic Scheduling.

Then I see a screen that says : Edit Schedule :

My Operation Type - is Threat Scan
Starting date - 02 March, 2016
Starting time : 9:14 am
Schedule Frequency - Daily
Recurrence - 1 day

What happens if I am not in front of my computer at that time or that day. As as a home user, it differs etc...

BTW - I love your dog :-)

Hi:

Those settings are fine.

The scheduled scan will run automatically and silently every day, starting at 9:14 AM tomorrow (Mar 2).

As long as the computer is awake (not powered off and not asleep or hibernating), the scan will run.

Unless the scan finds something (malware, PUPs), it will be silent.

You can verify that it ran on schedule by opening the dashboard > click "history" > click "application logs"/

HOWEVER, there are a couple of wrinkles to that schedule business. ;)

Refer to the attached screen shot which shows the settings if you click the blue "Advanced" button in the scheduler.

1) If you want the scan to run at exactly 9:14 each day, be sure that the option to "check for updates before scanning" is UN-checked (as in the screenshot). 

Otherwise, the update check + scan will be randomized to run +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time.  In your case that would mean 08:59 to 09:29 AM each day.

2) If you do not want MBAM to try to make up for a missed scan (e.g. one that was scheduled to run when the computer was turned off), then be sure that the "recover if missed by" setting is also UN-checked (as in the screenshot). 

Otherwise, MBAM could try to "make up" for a missed scan at an inconvenient time, e.g. immediately after starting the computer cold. IMHO this is not necessary with MBAM Premium because the real-time protection is the key -- scans are only a "second opinion", and I don't want the scans to run at times that could interfere with other tasks.

Let us know if you need more help with this, and/or with scheduling update checks.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words -- that is one of my Airedales, TFAOTP (The Finest Animals on the Planet).

post-29793-0-19515400-1456874971_thumb.p

Thanks for the screen shots. I have done as per your image file but I guess we are back to square one in that I do not have my computer on at the same time every day, and following your suggestion that I do not click on the recover missed tasks option.

I am not sure what you mean by Real Time settings. I have a feeling that I have "played" too much and that exposing thing ;-). I have attached a screen shot :-)

My aim (and I know your aim) is to simply have my computer scan everyday irrespective of what time it is turned on and no  that I am fully protected at all times.

I have not heard of the breed - Airedales. Will google them :-). They sure look very lovable and lots of fun - bet a whole lot more than what you having now.

REALLY appreciate your help

post-200565-0-87926200-1456876353_thumb.

Hi:

You are over-thinking this. :)

MBAM Premium (the paid version you are running) helps to PREVENT infection by running in "real time" in the background, alongside your antivirus.  It is helping to protect you from becoming infected with certain types of malware that your antivirus may miss.

Scans -- whether automated/scheduled or manually run -- are just a "second opinion" to look for malware that might have made it onto the system, past both MBAM and your AV. 

A scan cannot run when the computer is turned off -- that is not unique to MBAM. The same is true for any program.

But it's not a problem if a daily scan is skipped from time to time because the computer was turned off when the scheduled scan would otherwise have run.

Having said that, you have "check for updates before scanning" enabled.  That is fine, if you wish. BUT, as I explained, if you enable that setting the update check and the scan that follows will be RANDOMIZED to occur +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time (which it appears you have changed from 9:14 AM to 9:30 AM in your screen shot).  That is built in to the program.  So, your daily scan will run sometime between 9:15 and 9:45.

If you want your daily, scheduled automated scan to run at EXACTLY 9:30 AM each day (assuming that the computer is turned on), then just UN-check that setting.

If you are really worried about missing a scan because the computer may be turned off some days at the scheduled time (in your case 9:30 AM), then you may wish to do one or both of these:

1) Either: place a check-mark in (enable) the "recover missed tasks" option AND select "23 hours" from "recover if missed by" menu (#2 in my screenshot in my previous reply);

2) And/Or: simply run a MANUAL threat scan whenever you wish to do so, e.g. after starting up your computer.

IMHO Neither of  these is necessary, but it's up to you.

Bottom line:

Your current settings for the scheduled scan are fine. 

Just be aware that the scheduled scan will run randomly sometime between 9:15 and 9:45 AM every day, as long as the computer is awake, unless you un-check the "check for updates before scanning" option.

(And I don't know what you have set for the automatic update checks. This discussion has only been about the scheduled scan.)

There is more information here: How do I schedule a scan or update in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Thanks,

P.S. Yes, Airedale Terriers are the "King" of Terriers -- a unique combination of style, brains and clownish wit. :)

LOL - I think I have done way too much over thinking and driven your crazy in the process. The automatic update is fine.

As long as I know it is automatically running in the background and I will be warned if I go into a site that is a Trojan etc then all is good. Prior to Malware, I was only using an Anti Virus - and my computer ended up being locked and reported to the FBI :-). My Computer lady charged a fortune to corrected.

Have fun with your Airedale Terriers   nothing more fun than clownish wit. Maybe he/she can teach me how to have brains.

Be well and thanks again for your perseverance with me - I give you all the stars in the world. Be well

• 11 months later...

I'm a new user, and I want to verify that the daily threat scan is running as scheduled. One posting above says go to dashboard, open history, and open logs. From the dashboard I am unable to click on history and go anywhere. How can I verify that the scheduled daily scan is running? I can see in reports where I ran a custom scan 4 days ago, and a threat scan that day, but no other scans.