Fresh install 'unable to access update server'

Logged in as admin under Win 8.1, I've done the following on my desktop:

-run mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001

-turned off Windows firewall and Avast

-installed mban-setup-2.1.9.1057

When the program tries to update, I'm given the message "unable to access update server" and the Database Version remains at v2015.06.03.03.

A scan will run and detect PUPs (I ran it in normal Windows mode--should I be in Safe mode?), but following the scan the Database Version remains the same.

Meanwhile, my Win 8.1 laptop, which is not running Avast, has no problem updating the database and running a scan.

So, I tried copying all the update files from my laptop to my infected desktop, but did not get any different behavior.

Please help!

Hi:

Welcome.

Logged in as admin under Win 8.1, I've done the following on my desktop:

-run mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001
-turned off Windows firewall and Avast
-installed mban-setup-2.1.9.1057

I presume that's a typo and that you refer to 2.1.8.1057. ;)

When the program tries to update, I'm given the message "unable to access update server" and the Database Version remains at v2015.06.03.03.

First, be sure the system date and time are correct.
Then, reboot at least once.

If still no joy, it's probably because of this:

A scan will run and detect PUPs (I ran it in normal Windows mode--should I be in Safe mode?),

No, the scan should be run in Normal mode if at all possible.

The PUPs and other detections might be interfering with the update process (but it's not a good idea to scan with outdated databases -- it can lead to both false-positives and false-negatives).

As it sounds as if you have at least PUPs, if not bonafide malware on the system, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair, and can assist with getting MBAM up and running.

Thanks,

Hi:

Thanks for the logs.

There's a lot going on with this system and more than can be addressed here in this particular section of the forum.

Such work is conducted in a special forum area reserved for that purpose, or at the help desk.

I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.

>>As you have already run FRST, you just need to read the sticky topic mentioned above, and then please attach the same 3 logs to a new post in the malware removal section.

A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair, and can assist with getting MBAM up and running.

>>Having said all that, this appears to be a work computer?

If so, please be advised that the current MBAM version for work/business is version 1.75, and there is different licensing.

So, if you prefer, you may wish to log a ticket at the Business Help Desk HERE.

They can assist you one-on-one, both with technical support/malware removal and with proper licensing.

Thank you,