Database Failing to Update

Hello and :welcome: :

What error message -- if any -- do you get when you try to manually update, e.g. "No updates available" or "Unable to contact server", or something else?

Is the system date/time correct (IOW the system clock)?

Do your other programs/browsers connect to the internet OK?

If rebooting the computer does not resolve your issue:

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Thanks for your response.

About 3 minutes after clicking update now I get the message "unable to access update server".

1.  Is a complete uninstall necessary so soon?  I just downloaded the exe today from the site and made the install today.

2.  Interestingly http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_checkfails to load in Chrome, Firefox, or IE.  However, I was able to attach the logs from Farbar.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Hi:

1. Yes, a clean reinstall is often the fastest way to get back up and running. That's why we suggest it as a first step. It generally only takes a few minutes, even if you follow the detailed steps carefully, as suggested.

2. Not sure why you're having a problem with that link -- it loads just fine for me.  Perhaps try again with THIS LINK

Without the mbam-check log and/or a clean reinstall, it's hard to proceed efficiently with troubleshooting. :(

Having said that, your logs show some issues with the system -- especially no installed anti-virus, lots of failed Windows updates and application crashes.

So, if you'd like to get some expert help with cleaning up the system, then I suggest that you might want to please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup, repair, and, if needed, getting MBAM up and running.

Thanks,

The system updates are largely because I'm coming off a new Windows 7 install.  Maybe I'm mistaken but sometimes the updates fail when it tries to apply 100+ updates at a time - I didn't notice anything particularly egregious.

The other event logs errors are usually forced from Windows Task Manager.

Hmm, really odd, I can't access any of the links you've posted so far.

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean- link to get  mbam-clean.exe from pinned thread won't load

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check- that won't load either.

This problem is restricted only to trying to get files from malwarebytes.  Any other page loads fine on my browsers.

Hi:

Well, bummer, something's not working at your end, as the links work just fine for me -- they are the standard download link for that tool. :(

I have retested them.

While it may be a fresh Windows install, you still need a robust anti-virus.

That really ought to be the first and only software installed, until all of the important Windows updates are applied, especially the security patches.

MBAM is not an anti-virus.

As you have been on the internet with neither a fully patched system nor an anti-virus, you could possibly be infected, or could be experiencing some sort of DNS issue, leftover malware damage or other problem. It *could* be a server problem, as well, but we don't yet have enough info to confirm that.

The particular update error message you report suggests that something -- malware, software conflict, etc. -- is preventing MBAM from phoning home.

Under the circumstances, the safest bet might be to please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue - the helper will guide you through scanning, cleanup, repair, and, if needed, getting MBAM up and running.

EDIT: One other thing to try - what happens when you ping the cdn from an elevated command prompt?

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thanks again,

I have the exact same problem. Malewarebytes is falling to update my database and the download links for the removal software are not working either. If I click on the link the page load for ever. I've look online and I'm not the only one with this issue. My computer is also not infected in any way possible. I'm in Canada maybe there is a problem with the Canadian server? Malewarebytes was working fine 3 weeks ago. Now I'm stuck with the v2015.06.03.03 version of the database.

@please55:

Are you in Canada?

------------------------------------------

@Chaz:

Welcome. :)
>>It's not yet clear if your problem really is the same, or whether it's the same "symptom" of a different underlying problem.
>>Because this can get confusing, trying to help multiple users in the same thread, we may ask you to please start a new, separate post, so that you can get individual help.
>>But, for starters...

What happens when you ping the cdn from an elevated command prompt?

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thanks to you both,

Thanks for the help next time I'll create a new post. When I ping the cdn this is what happen:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Pinging cds.m8z7c2j5.hwcdn.net [69.16.175.42] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=59
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 69.16.175.42:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 25ms

C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks, Chaz.

If possible, it would help to hear back from @please55 with a confirmation of locale.

We'll go from there.

If you browsed the forum, you probably spotted this "cdn" thread from last week (France).

As you can see, it got a bit messy, even after the problem was identified for multiple users. ;)

So, we might suggest that you please read this pinned topic to collect some basic information: Diagnostic Logs

If you wish to attach them to your next reply here in this thread for now, that would be fine.

(If you cannot get to the mbam-check tool download, then please at least post the 2 FRST logs.)

Then, if you problem turns out to be different from @please55's, the forum mod team can split all of your posts into a separate thread.

Thanks for your patience,

Indeed I was not able to download the mbam-check tool. When clicking on the link I had the same problem (page loading forever). I did read the cdn thread and this is why I think the problem might be link to my location. Here are the 2 logs. I really appreciate your help. 

I've tried both download link on my iphone, ipad and my other computers at home and I had the same issue with all of them. Maybe that information can help.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Sorry about the delay daledoc, I appreciate the attention.  I was going to wait but I went ahead and threw up Comodo Anti-Virus, initial scans show I'm clean.

Running the ping to data-cdn.mbamupdate.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Pinging cds.m8z7c2j5.hwcdn.net [69.16.175.42] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=59
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=206ms TTL=59
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=59
Reply from 69.16.175.42: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 69.16.175.42:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 206ms, Average = 79ms

C:\Windows\system32>

OK, please sit tight for the moment. :)

There are at least 3 of you in 2 different threads with the "same" problem.

And you are all in Canada.

It could be a coincidence, or not.

(Some of the logs do show other "issues" with the computers.)

It is above my pay grade.

I have asked the forum staff to have a look.

Thanks for your patience,

I am located in Canada and having a similar issue. Database fails to update (I'm currently "stuck" at v2015.03.09.05).

The URL for the diagnostic tool at this URL:

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v1/tools/mbam-check/data/mbam-check-2.1.1.1001.exe

is not accessible and produces the error:

Connection to 69.16.175.10 failed

The system returned: (110) Connection timed out

You'll notice the "data-cdn" prefix in the URL. If I change that to "data" it looks like it will work, although I wanted to be sure that was OK before proceeding. Could it be that you are directing users located in Canada to a different server or something like that?

PS: The link to mbam-clean.exe produces the same error as above. 

PS: The link to mbam-clean.exe produces the same error as above. 

Well that was an assumption actually, after finally timing out, the link to mbam-clean.exe at:

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v1/tools/mbam-clean/data/mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001.exe

generated the message "The connection was reset" but I think the two messages are pretty much saying the same thing.

Yeah I was starting to get suspicious that it didn't have anything to do on my end.  :(  I know its the prudent thing and I'm probably not that much more sophisticated than the average user but man oh man - I hate anti-virus software (until one is as light as notepad)

OK, folks.

I have reported this thread and another one that might be related (here) to the forum staff.

It is the weekend, so please try to be patient until someone with sufficient expertise arrives to further assist you.

It's not yet certain that this is a cdn/server problem, or whether there is something else going on with your systems.

It will take a bit more work to determine that.

>>>For others reading this thread: :)

• If you are in Canada, please sit tight for the moment.
  • If you are NOT in Canada, PLEASE start your own topic for now.

Thanks again for your patience.