A recommended computer protection!

BML

I used to use AVG but as they increased their charge by 17% this time and also charge to cover my Laptop I have dumped them.

I then looked at Randall Sutherland's top ten protection applications if thats the correct description and found a recommendation at £19.95 but then read that the update required took it up to £59.95 which I consider sharp practice.

I don't mind paying but I want a good level of protection and no smart arse marketing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.   

Hello:

Welcome back.

There is no one security product or selection of products that suits all users, all computers and all budgets.

100 users will offer 101 passionate opinions on the subject. :)

MBAM Premium is designed to work alongside all of the major, popular AVs, to provide layered, complementary protection.

Here is a pinned topic: List of well known antivirus products

It contains links to other, external resources at "general" computer sites with vigorous discussion of the subject.

Here are two more:

Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software

Windows 7: What's the Best Anti-virus?

Thank you,

Hi:

It's a bit of a semantic issue and it can be confusing.

Most of the major AVs also provide *some* anti-malware protection.
However, MBAM is a specialized product that targets the non-viral malware that the AVs often miss. But it does NOT function as an anti-virus.
That is why a "layered" approach, with one real-time anti-virus program, combined with one real-time anti-malware program, is recommended (along with other security measures, especially SAFE COMPUTING practices).

More resources, with additional information:
Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?
MALWARE - ROOTKITS - TROJANS - WORMS - VIRUS
The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How did I get infected?
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
List of well known antivirus products
Six tips to help you stay safer online

Cheers,

Right, it looks as though I either need one application committed to anti virus and another one committed to anti malware providing that they will work together or, if there is one of course, a single application that does both?

Right, it looks as though I either need one application committed to anti virus and another one committed to anti malware providing that they will work together or,

Yes, that is the general idea. :)

if there is one of course, a single application that does both?

No, not really, as explained in my earlier reply. The AVs typically "miss" many types of non-viral malwware. :)

Please refer to this earlier reply, especially the concept of LAYERED, COMPLEMENTARY protection:

Most of the major AVs also provide *some* anti-malware protection.

However, MBAM is a specialized product that targets the non-viral malware that the AVs often miss. But it does NOT function as an anti-virus.

That is why a "layered" approach, with one real-time anti-virus program, combined with one real-time anti-malware program, is recommended (along with other security measures, especially SAFE COMPUTING practices).

If you have a look at some of those resources in my previous replies, they explain it better than I could. :)

So again, 1 real-time AV (either free or paid), plus 1 real-time anti-malware (e.g. MBAM Premium).

If you run into issues or need help with getting your AV to play with MBAM, then you can just start a NEW topic >>HERE<<, and someone will be happy to assist you.

Thank you again,

Cheers,