Unable to open Malwarebytes

I am unable to open Malwarebytes. I receive the error message "Run-time error '5'", invalid procedure call or argument. I am also unable to download anny files, including MBam claen. The error message I receive is "download failed-virus scan failed" even when I am attempting to download files I am sure are safe. I have turned off Windows Defender but still receive the error message. I have tried Chameleon to no avail. I believe there is possibly a corrupt file in Malwarebytes but have no idea what to do from here. I am running Windows Vista and would like to upload files to a cloud program so that I can transfer them to a new computer, but I cannot download any programs at all. I looked thru previous threads but do not see this particular problem. I am not very skilled so please use as simple of computer language as possible.  Any help will be appreciated!

Hello and welcome back:

If you are unable to download anything on the sick computer, then it's possible that you could be infected or have other serious problems.

One thing to try would be to reset your browser(s) -- instructions are below.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.
>>>It will likely be helpful or necessary to have access to both another computer and a thumb drive (USB flash drive) to transfer tools to the sick computer.

Thanks,
-------------------

Please visit each of the following sites and lets reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Reset Firefox button.

Chrome
Start by disabling Sync
How To Delete Your Google Chrome Browser Sync Data
Chrome - Reset browser settings
If that fails then Uninstall Google Chrome and do not reinstall until sure the system is clean.

Hi:

I'm not sure about IE, as I don't use it. But, it will reset the various settings to the "default", so you might lose bookmarks/favorites. So, you might want to back those up.... Check this for details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

For Firefox, a reset *should* save your bookmarks in a backup: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

But it would be a good idea to manually back them up first, as well, just in case.

No idea about Chrome, sorry.

Check the links in my previous reply, as they will likely explain what is and is not saved. It's a bit different from other browsers because of the "sync" feature.

Thank you,