MBAM / Kaspersky Pure 3.0

I'm new to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance, at least for now.

I've seen various discussions here and elsewhere that address situations similar to mine, but not exactly. So, here goes.

I have both MBAM Premium and Kaspersky Pure 3.0 installed and running on a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine. Both are fully-licensed and up to date. I have a concern about compatibility. A Kaspersky support representative told me that problems could arise due to conflicts between the two and he said I should uninstall MBAM. I am not experiencing any error messages or warnings. He basically said that MBAM could inhibit Kaspersky Pure's ability to do its job. I'm interpreting that as their official line since it was the response I received when I submitted the question to their technical support team.

Something didn't seem right with that guidance, so I decided to get some information on this forum. Are there configuration settings that need to be made in MBAM in order to eliminate or at least minimize the possibility of compatibility problems? If so, what are they?

Thank you in advance.

Hello:

Such recommendations have been a standard ploy by many of the major AV vendors for years.
Nowadays, it's based more on marketing than on any known or suspected incompatibility problem.
To the contrary, MBAM is specifically designed and tested to run alongside all of the major AVs, to provide complementary, layered protection against the zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by the AVs.
I have run MBAM Pro (now Premium) with KIS on multiple platforms for many years, without issue.

Having said that, a *temporary* uninstall of MBAM in order to troubleshoot an issue with an AV (whether PURE or any other product) is not unreasonable.
In most cases, when the problem is found to be unrelated to MBAM, it is perfectly fine to reinstall MBAM.

To optimize performance and minimize the chance of conflicts, many users do like to set mutual exclusions between MBAM and their AV.
The screenshot shows how to add an AV (in this case, KIS) to MBAM exclusions.
And the text below lists the MBAM files to add to PURE exclusions.

Please let us know if you need more help with that.

Thanks,
-------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

post-29793-0-73395500-1416625181_thumb.p

You are most welcome.

I'm glad I could help.

If you ever need further help, please don't hesitate to ask.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Cheers,