Not able to open Malwarebytes in Windows 7

Starting October 21st 2014 my paid for version of Malwarebytes will not open.  I don't like being unprotected.  So far I tried restoring to before the Windows critical update but it then automatically installed the update again.  So this morning I turned off the automatic updating for Windows and restored to before that October 21st windows update.  But it still did not let me open Malwarebytes.  No errors or anything indicating it had a problem. 

Hello:

Well, there are likely at least several issues with this system, from what you describe.

First, and most important: You mentioned that you restored the system to a point prior to Windows updates and then disabled automatic Windows updating.  This is NOT advisable, as it's critical to keep one's system fully patched.  It is strongly encouraged that you enable that important service and that you fully update the system with all the critical and important patches offered by Microsoft.

Next, once the system is fully updated with all critical and important Microsoft patches: Performing a system restore likely broke MBAM, as will routinely happen to most security programs when doing a system restore.  So, after you get all your Windows patches installed, the next step will be a clean reinstall of MBAM.

Here are the steps:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

P.S. Also, as you mentioned that you were "unprotected" without MBAM. Do you have an antivirus (AV) installed on the system?  MBAM is not an antivirus. So, even if MBAM were not working correctly, you should still be protected by your AV.

Hi:

I'm glad that MBAM is back up and running now.

No, MBAM is not an antivirus (AV).

This is explained here: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

MBAM is designed to provide complementary, layered protection alongside a robust AV (either free or paid), to protect against zero-hour and zero-day threats missed by standard AVs.

There are many fine options for AV protection, both free and paid.

This sticky topic lists a few of them: List of well known antivirus products

And here are a few external links with additional discussion:

http://www.sevenforu...anti-virus.html

http://www.bleepingc...lware-software/

Thanks again,