How long does this defrag take?

Sparks1014

I am following the slow PC? start here instructions and have gotten to the defragment your hard drive section. I have followed all the instruction correctly but I am unsure if my computer is behaving. I currently have a little black box with the words:

C:\windows/Systems32\cmd.exe.

Then in the box itself, it looks to me like a scrolling script that keeps repeating itself. It says:

C:\Users\Shane\Desktop>defrag "c:"

My question is how long is this defrag suppose to take? And is what I am seeing normal?

Hi, Sparks1014: :)

Until one of the staff or experts sees this post...

Is this the Win7 rig with which you recently got help in the malware removal section (I see that you were given the "all clear")?

Win7 has a built-in defragmenter that runs "silently" in the background & on an automatic schedule.

In this case, it should not take too long, if routine defrags are regularly and automatically performed.

But it would take longer if the defrag has NOT been operating on schedule, or if you have a LOT of files on a LARGE disk.

(And the automatic defrag assumes that the computer is powered up and "awake" to do so.)

Some more info is here: How to Use Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter

But I'm not sure what you've described sounds like it's working properly -- perhaps there was a typo or syntax problem, if you tried to launch defrag from a command prompt?

Can you possibly post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

And, just to be sure: this is NOT a SSD is it?

That might help, :)

daledoc1