[SOLVED] MBAE crashes Opera

cork1958

Yes,

I have Opera 12.16 and from what I've read about Opera 15, I'm NOT installing that next to unusable piece of junk! Opera even knows 15 is junk as my updater for Opera doesn't  detect a new version!

The Opera forums are full of complaints about it.

Thanks for the reply :)

I had the same issue after installing MBAE but managed to solve it. To prevent Opera from crashing, all you need to do is uninstall MBAE, DELETE the folder that MBAE created during installation (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes), restart your com and do a fresh install of MBAE (right-click on installation file and select "Run as Administrator"). Make sure you do not have other applications running during install.

I have Opera, Firefox with privacy add-ons enabled (Disconnect, Ghostery, Self-destructing Cookies), Winamp and a whole other bunch of applications running at startup, along with MBAE. No problems so far ;)

Ok so Opera crashed again after a fresh reinstall.. I think it has something to do with feedly, because it crashes after each login attempt. Browsing with Opera before logging into feedly is just fine. I have to disable MBAE, login to feedly and re-enable MBAE if I don't want Opera to crash. Just a heads up for the MBAE devs ^_^

Is this with the latest Opera 15 or an older version?

Opera 12.16, not going to upgrade to 15 in the foreseeable future. Running Win7 64bit with Kaspersky Internet Security and Peerblock. Are you guys still going to support older versions of Opera? The Opera crashes are a small issue for me - I just have to remember to disable/re-enable MBAE everytime I want to login to feedly and all my apps startup almost instantaneously from my SSD too ^_^ Maybe I could consider using another RSS feed reader, but feedly's been the best so far :wub:

• Staff

From what we know this crash happens with Opera 12 and doesn't seem to happen in newer Opera versions. But the issue with feedly is interesting, we'll have to take a closer look at it to see if we can replicate it with the latest Opera as well. Thanks for reporting!

Oh yes I forgot to add - you might want to ask users to do the following additional steps for a clean install of MBAE:

- Clean registry of old MBAE entries by using a program like CCleaner

- Delete the folder that the previous version of MBAE created during installation (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes)

- Make sure you run the new MBAE installer as Admin in Win7 (right-click .exe file and select "Run as Administrator")

My Opera (v12.16) kept crashing after I installed a previous version of MBAE until I tried to do a "clean" install and added the above steps into my installation process. Hope this helps someone trying to get Opera working with MBAE.

• Staff

Don't really need to clean registry as those are just basic counters and not needed for MBAE to run. The deletion of the folder should not be necessary either as the new version installer will overwrite the files inside the directory. Finally the installer will ask for elevated privileges if it detects it is not running as admin.

Thanks for confirming that 0.09.3.1000 is working correctly with Opera 12, this is great news!!

Btw for now during beta we only have manual upgrades to new versions. For the final release we will incorporate automatic upgrades to new versions.

The new version of MBAE IS NOT working correctly with Opera 12.16!

Just did a fresh install of MBAE, fired up Opera and instantaneous crash!

I DO NOT have any news feeder or anything similar to it running. In fact, I do not have any addons or anything running and even flashplayer is disabled!

Oh yes I forgot to add - you might want to ask users to do the following additional steps for a clean install of MBAE:

- Clean registry of old MBAE entries by using a program like CCleaner

- Delete the folder that the previous version of MBAE created during installation (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes)

- Make sure you run the new MBAE installer as Admin in Win7 (right-click .exe file and select "Run as Administrator")

My Opera (v12.16) kept crashing after I installed a previous version of MBAE until I tried to do a "clean" install and added the above steps into my installation process. Hope this helps someone trying to get Opera working with MBAE.

FWIW,

I do all of that every time I uninstall anything and also delete anything that might get into the programs/common programs folder and anything in my User/low/local folders and I run my computers as administrator all the time.

@pbust,

Please do not incorporate an automatic updater into this thing until it's TOTALLY right, which it is FAR from right now!

Don't really need to clean registry as those are just basic counters and not needed for MBAE to run. The deletion of the folder should not be necessary either as the new version installer will overwrite the files inside the directory. Finally the installer will ask for elevated privileges if it detects it is not running as admin.

Thanks for confirming that 0.09.3.1000 is working correctly with Opera 12, this is great news!!

Btw for now during beta we only have manual upgrades to new versions. For the final release we will incorporate automatic upgrades to new versions.

Ok guess I'll just have to monitor the forums for updates then. Opera is definitely working properly with MBAE installed for me so far *fingers crossed*.

FWIW,

I do all of that every time I uninstall anything and also delete anything that might get into the programs/common programs folder and anything in my User/low/local folders and I run my computers as administrator all the time.

@pbust,

Please do not incorporate an automatic updater into this thing until it's TOTALLY right, which it is FAR from right now!

Hi cork1958, sorry to hear you've such a lousy experience. I'm running MBAE on Win7 with Opera, Firefox and their relevant privacy add-ons (Ghostery,Self-Destructing Cookies and Disconnect), along with tons of other apps that auto-startup when Win7 boots. What other apps/processes are running in the background when you start Opera up? Does disabling MBAE, starting up Opera and re-enabling MBAE solve the problem for you?

@pbust - is it possible for outdated Java/Flash/Windows components to cause Opera to crash when MBAE is run?

• Staff

Why isn't this issue even listed in the known issues of the post about the new version is out?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=130688

Done, thanks for pointing this out.

@pbust - is it possible for outdated Java/Flash/Windows components to cause Opera to crash when MBAE is run?

Shouldn't. We'll take a closer look at this. Just out of curiosity, why does nobody want to upgrade to Opera 15 which doesn't seem to have any issues with MBAE?

I have Win7 32 bit and 64 bit and and various different versions, Professional, Ultimate and Home Premium of Win 7. 

I use no ridiculous addons other than adblock in Seamoneky and Easylist ad protection in IE9, As far as Opera goes, there is NO addons installed except flashplayer and that is almost always disabled, in all browsers unless I need it.

Currently, with 1 tab open in Opera I have a total of 29 processes running, with Opera being 1 and MBAE being another. I DO NOT let programs auto start and almost always refuse to let anything do anything automatically.

The only 2 items in the system tray that are loaded is my Windows 7 firewall control and MBAE, version 0.9.2, still.

Done, thanks for pointing this out.

Shouldn't. We'll take a closer look at this. Just out of curiosity, why does nobody want to upgrade to Opera 15 which doesn't seem to have any issues with MBAE?

As I stated in my first reply to you. The new Opera sucks, plain and simple. Tons of complaints in the Opera forums and a couple other tech sites I visit. I have actually installed it once now, just to see how bad it is, and it's ridiculously crappy! The main thing I hate about it though, is they quit using their own Presto engine and switched to that crap Chrome engine!

Hi cork1958, sorry to hear you've such a lousy experience. I'm running MBAE on Win7 with Opera, Firefox and their relevant privacy add-ons (Ghostery,Self-Destructing Cookies and Disconnect), along with tons of other apps that auto-startup when Win7 boots. What other apps/processes are running in the background when you start Opera up? Does disabling MBAE, starting up Opera and re-enabling MBAE solve the problem for you?

Just installed newest MBAE on a different machine using Opera 12.16.

Exiting MBAE first, opening Opera and restarting MBAE, DOES NOT cause Opera to crash!!

Not using it this way though. I know it'll be fixed sometime soon, hopefully!