Missing: Desktop Icons, Toolbar; sys restore not working, dial up setup/icon gone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry, any way to find out what you may have found or think happened? Realize its getting late-I knock off @5am tomorrow & have been awake since early this am.

It does ask for a command after the C :\WINDOWS> I just hit enter-didn't work.

Hi, I did that earlier this morning at work. Did xp pro repair a few years back-my desktop-forgot about bypass R & go into install XP with option to repair. Meanwhile laptop restarted ok. I did update MWB ran memory flash scan. Did a quick scandisk-without checking the the auto/repair boxes. Both found nothing. Hit the Start/AllPrograms/Accessories/SystemTools menu-found 2 menu items that I don't remember seeing before-might have something to do with that -save your butt- thing you found earlier. At home now.

They were on the desktop, a little less than half didnt have the gif image but were there. It worked ok. After I did what I previously posted, it did affect my pc.

Last time I started it from there, it did as before-missing icons, toolbar not showing start/clock.

I realize in my frustration and jumping ahead with those scans it looks like I'm ignoring your work trying to help me get this fixed. I apologize for that, won't do that again.

Wound up doing another repair install. It restarted, desktop looked like the first one-icons there, some gif images missing, toolbar looked of-start button, clock, quick start buttons as original on taskbar. Shut it off, left it alone. I just restarted it, removed the OS cd. When it started up the Windows xp image came up, showed the loading page-windows xp 29 sec highlighted I hit enter-started to load. The screen stayed black longer than usual-like it hesitated to load. The blue microsoft screen came up, the desktop has no icons and that dark brown taskbar.

That means there's something that doesn't load in Safe Mode but loads in Normal Mode.

It really sounds like the Video Driver. You need to look in device manager and see if your video card is disabled

Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > and see if any devices have a red x or Yellow mark

click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.

look in the Startup. Uncheck everything except your anti-virus program.

Reboot in Normal Mode and let me know.

After you uncheck it and rebooting, you'll be using Selective startup.

When you see the box popup that tells you that, just put a Check in the Box to not show that when you startup.

Please copy the contents of the following quote box into Notepad: Don't forget to add the REGEDIT4

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"WallpaperStyle"=-

"Wallpaper"=-

"NoDispBackgroundPage"=-

"NoDispAppearancePage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"Wallpaper"=-

"WallpaperStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=-

"NoActiveDesktop"=-

"NoSaveSettings"=-

"ClassicShell"=-

"NoThemesTab"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]

"NoChangingWallPaper"=-

Save it to your desktop as fixme.reg

Then, locate fixme.reg on your desktop and <double-click> it.

You will receive a prompt similar to: "Do you wish to merge the information into the registry?".

Answer 'Yes' and wait for a message to appear similar to "Merged Successfully"

Reboot.

Can you access/change the desktop now?

I'm about out of ideas

Click "Start", "Settings", and then click "Control Panel". Open the "Display" applet.

Click on "Desktop", "Customise Display..." and "Web".

In the box under "Web pages", select all the checkboxes and click "Delete".

#2Next, launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the blue REGEDIT below to it

Save in: Desktop

File Name: fixme.reg

Save as Type: All files

Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]

"WallpaperFileTime"=-

"WallpaperLocalFileTime"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"NoDispAppearancePage"=-

"Wallpaper"=-

"WallpaperStyle"=-

"NoDispBackgroundPage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=-

"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"Wallpaper"=-

"WallpaperStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]

"Background"="0 78 152"

On the desktop, doubleclick fixme.reg and allow it to run. Let it merge.