• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on those dumps?

This is the word from my post #49:

Good News! Your MBR isn't infected!!

Excellent job!

Your scans are all coming up clean now!

We have a few steps to finish up now!!

If I asked you to download and run an ARK (Antirootkit program) such as Gmer, Rootkit Unhooker, or Root Repeal, or Rootkit Unhooker, then please uninstall it by doing the following:

• Delete the contents of the C:\ARK folder (or whatever folder you chose to install the antirootkit in)
  • Delete the C:\ARK folder(or whatever folder you chose to install the antirootkit in)

If I asked You to download TDSSKiller, MBRCheck or mbr.exe, please delete these programs from your Desktop (or their download location). If I asked you to make a back-up copy of your MBR, retain that on your hard drive and it's also a good idea to burn it to CD for safekeeping, in the event You need to restore it.

To remove Combofix and it's quarantine folder:

Click Start -> Run, and copy/paste the following bolded text in the Open: box and select OK:

"%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /uninstall

This will do the following:

• Uninstall Combofix and all its associated files and folders.
  • Flush your system restore points and create a new restore point.
  • Re-hide your system files and folders
  • Reset your system clock

---

Here are some additional measures you should take to keep your system in good working order and ensure your continued security.

1. Scan your system for outdated versions of commonly used software applications that may also cause your PC be vulnerable, using the Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI) by clicking the Start Scanner button. This is very important because recent statistics confirm that an overwhelming majority of infections are aquired through application not Operating System flaws. Commonly used programs like Quicktime, Java, and Adobe Acrobat Reader, itunes, FlashPlayer and many others are frequently targeted today. You can make your computer much more secure if you update to the most current versions of these programs and any others that Secunia alerts you to.

Just click the "Start Scanner" button to get a listing of all outdated and possibly insecure resident programs.

Note: If your firewall prompts you about access, allow it.

2. Keep MBAM as an on demand scanner because I highly recommend it, and the quick scan will find most active malware in minutes.

3. You can reduce your startups by downloading Malwarebyte's StartUp Lite and saving it to a convenient location. Just double-click StartUpLite.exe. Then, check the options you would like based on the descriptions provided, then select continue. This will free up system resources because nonessential background programs will no longer be running when you start up your computer.

You should visit the Windows Updates website, and obtain the most current Operating System updates/patches, and Internet Explorer released versions.

The easiest and fastest way to obtain Windows Updates is by clicking Control Panel -> Windows Update.

However, setting your computer to download and install updates automatically will relieve you of the responsibility of doing this on a continual basis. It is important to periodically check that Windows Updates is functioning properly because many threats disable it as part of their strategy to compromise your system. Windows Updates are released on the second Tuesday of every month.

Finally, please review the additional suggestions offered by Tony Klein in How did I get infected in the first place. so you can maintain a safe and secure computing environment.

Happy Surfing! :P