an infected system to learn on, knowing if it's clean

Njem

I have a system that was encrypted. We recovered data for other systems on the network from a backup but decided this system was going to be replaced anyway so are using it offline to learn about ransomware.

enctypted files are marked .locky

The ransomware beta (9.14.361) would not activate. I suspect because it has no internet connection, and I'm not going to give it one.

This is the system where the problem started, where a user opened an attachment. It seems to be still infected. I made a new doc file and it immediately was encrypted. Though I've tried that numerous times since and now they don't get encrypted. Not sure if it's laying in wait.

malwarebytes found malware.trace in the system. I did not quarantine it because want to learn more before cleaning it. Is malware.trace probably the item that can continue to encrypt? If I did clean that am I likely safe if I wanted to use this system?

Mostly what I want to learn is when such an attack happens, how I know if the code is gone and it's safe to go back to using a system or putting it on the network.