McAfee Total Protection Conflict

I was experiencing errors with McAfee Total Protection, specifically their McSvHost.exe files crashing for the past week. I contacted McAfee and they said it was a conflict with Malwarebytes. I said "no way" because I only run MWB as an on demand scanner, not actively. They said "yes way". I didn't believe them but after I uninstalled Malwarebytes, the conflicts ended and McAfee worked fine. I contacted them back and asked if there was really a conflict and they said yes again. I still didn't believe them so I called a third time and was told the same thing---that there is a conflict with Malwarebytes.

I don't understand how there could be a conflict since I'm only using it as an on demand scanner and not actively, but I was told by three different McAfee techs that whatever changes were made to the SecurityCenter (version 11.0.623) and VirusScan (version 15.0.294) engine updates recently (or last week's update for me)that there is now a conflict. I've never had any problems before scanning with Malwarebytes nor have I had problems with McAfee Total Protection until Mcafee update last week.

Is there something new that McAfee did with the newer engines that conflicts like McAfee says it does? I know about the workarounds in this forum, but I was told by McAfee that it is an unresolvable conflict at this point. I would hate to lose Malwarebytes as my go to scanner, but I need to know some info from this side of the fence.

Thanks for any insight.

Hello Klinker,

speaking of logs...

An OTL log of your system will be most helpful.

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

Update....I contacted an IT friend for more technical assistance on this issue. He said he was unaware of any conflicts as described (although he would be dealing with corporate licensing/products) and suggested I contact McAfee for clarification, but this time asking if it was just an installer conflict issue. I asked McAfee for clarification of conflicts and was told this time that in fact there is a conflict with their installer not only with MBAM but any other AV programs and that to successfully install McAfee any other AV programs would have to be deleted first. However, there is NO known conflict with MBAM as a stand alone scanner (which is how I use it). MBAM is still listed as a compatible program on their website, so obviously I was just given bad info from the techs. Therefore, based on this additional feedback from McAfee, it is my opinion that since there is a known conflict with the McAfee installer that the techs don't stray from their script and make the faulty conclusion that there is a conflict beyond the initial installation process with McAfee and other AV programs.

Also of note, when I contacted the companies of other "compatible" AV programs as previously listed by McAfee, they also said that there is no known conflicts other than with the McAfee installer itself. After installation of McAfee, it would be safe to reinstall their products and they would work with McAfee.

To summarize, it looks like any conflicts of MBAM (and other compatible programs) with McAfee is restricted to the installer ONLY. Whether McAfee has recently changed something in their installer that makes this more of a critical issue than before, I don't know, but it's pretty clear that the techs I spoke to at first improperly expanded this conflict beyond what they should have. Additionally, if there was truly a conflict outside of the installer I imagine you would have seen a large influx of issues or something would have shown up in your in-house testing.

I will reinstall MBAM and re post in this thread should I experience any "real" conflicts. It's not like this is the first time that McAfee has given out bad information.