famoussearchsystem.com

Hello,

I started getting a random pop-up today for famoussearchsystem.com and ran malwarebytes and found a backdoor.agent, which i deleted and restarted the laptop. And then it all started over again and malwarebytes keeps finding this backdoor.agent, have no idea what to do. Please help! Here is the log from malwarebytes and I have attached the dds.txt and attach.txt files.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8126

Windows 6.1.7600

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

11/9/2011 12:04:08 PM

mbam-log-2011-11-09 (12-04-08).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 246999

Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 1

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell (Backdoor.Agent) -> Value: Shell -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispScrSavPage (PUM.Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

I'm afraid I have bad news.

Your logs reveal a backdoor trojan. A backdoor severely compromises system integrity.

A compromised system may allow illicit network connections, disabling of security software, modifying critical system files and collection and transmiission of personal identifiable information without your consent.

I recommend that you disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately, and only reconnect to download any tools that are required. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or it if it contains any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the Trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. If it were on my PC I would not hesitate for a moment to do so. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will of course do our best to clean the computer of any infections that we can see but, as I already stated, we can in no way guarantee it to be trustworthy.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Let me know what you decide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!