Computer Slooooow - Script ?

deebeee

:( My computer is beyond slow and freezes constantly. I probably need a 2nd HD as low memory capacity but I've removed tons of "stuff."

Installed System Mechanic, good for a bit, than terrible. Got refund, removed, now computer slower than ever.

A box w a yellow triangle and exclamation point keeps popping up. Says: "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive." Choice of clicking Yes/No. Always click on Yes. Helps for about 2 minutes, then same thing again.

I NEVER use Internet Explorer, always use AOL.

;) Any way to improve speed before doing "restore" (takes forever to back up my things).

Thanks muchly

:)

deebeee

Hmmm add on's -- Not sure I understand what that would be? Do you mean updated versions of existing programs like Adobe Reader or adding new programs like Foxfire?

The weird thing is that I never ever ever use Internet Explorer and that's what the annoying script box refers to. Zheesh. :angry:

I guess I have to do restore. I hate all the backup, but in the meantime the program you referred me to does help a lot.

Thanks

deebeee

To my knowledge AOL piggy backs off Internet Explorer. You might try using plain old Internet Explorer and seeing if the issue goes away. Otherwise you could try FireFox or Google Chrome. The script error shouldn't be that big of a deal, it shouldn't cause any problems with the computer albeit it is annoying.

Thanks. While I absolutely detest Internet Explorer -- could try it and see if any change. What would Fire Fox or Google Chrome do to help the situation? I have Mozilla Fire Fox.

The script box is more than annoying. It doesn't just pop up -- it's preceded by immense slowdown, so I'll just keep on researching this, but thanks.

deebeee

Here's the screen shot of this crazy script thing. I don't even use Internet Explorer.

Hope this might give you some idea re how I can fix my computer's terrible slowness and freezes. But in any case, much appreciate your trying.

My computer is still beyond horribly slow despite the addition of the program from this link (suggested by rgabbard) http://forums.malwar...showtopic=81990 which gave me a program "NTREGOPT" that helps your registry.

Sigh :(

Thanks

deebeee

post-25407-0-20489300-1321050421.jpg

for the sake of testing ...

you might try downloading firefox 7.xx and installing it .

when you do the install ... use the "custom" setup and do not import anything from the other browsers when asked this as an option .

to be honest with you ... is there any particular reason to use aol ?

one thing that i noticed about aol is that they claim to be faster ... but all they do is stash a BUNCH of junk on your machine and "pull it up" .

this inevitably leads to a mess .

there is a standing joke about all the disks (aka : coasters) they sent/send out trying to promote their product .

there was a website that had pictures of the items that people made with them .

removing aol completely from a machine can be/is a royal pain .

for the sake of testing ...

you might try downloading firefox 7.xx and installing it .

when you do the install ... use the "custom" setup and do not import anything from the other browsers when asked this as an option .

to be honest with you ... is there any particular reason to use aol ?

one thing that i noticed about aol is that they claim to be faster ... but all they do is stash a BUNCH of junk on your machine and "pull it up" .

this inevitably leads to a mess .

there is a standing joke about all the disks (aka : coasters) they sent/send out trying to promote their product .

there was a website that had pictures of the items that people made with them .

removing aol completely from a machine can be/is a royal pain .

What do you make of the "script" box that keeps popping up? Weird.

I'll try your suggestion re Firefox7.xx. You said for the sake of testing to try it -- what kind of testing?

Probably eventually have to bite the bullet and do a "restore." Ugh.

I like AOL, all the gossip and "things" as well as the format of their emails. What browser do you use? I really hate Internet Explorer -- so clunky and ugly. What can I say? And especially if removing AOL would be hard.

Thanks again, will let you know how the firefox7.xx works.

i use FF7.xx and also am currently beta testing FF9 .

i use IE for the windows updates only .

remember though ... good looks aint everything .

AOL may be hard to remove but it is not impossible to remove .

format of email ... have you tried/looked at any other email type programs/services ?

personally , i use msn hotmail and the format is easy to navigate in ... many older people i know (some are pushing 80) use hotmail and msn messenge (or what ever it is called these days) because it is easy for them to learn/use .

something i don't like about "certain" programs from "certain companies" is the fact that they "keep tabs on you" and use this information themselves to target you for various products and bias search results ... and/or they sell that information and services to "others" .

i'd say that is pretty underhanded ... do they send me a check every month for selling their product and making them money (and hoping i don't realize what is going on) ?

hmmm ... lemme check the sky for winged pigs .

ps ... what are the full specs and/or model numbers of your comp ?

How would Fire Fox eliminate that annoying and computer slowing script box???

I looked at MSN Hot Mail and it's beyond confusing. Kept sending an email to my aol acct - never arrived. Unlike AOL, you can't simply insert a photo into the body of the email. I do not like MSN Hot Mail.

I am not interested if companies keep tabs on little ole boring me, so that is not an issue for me. Google does that too in spades.

Computer specs: Dell Dimension DE 051, 2.53 GHz, 256 MB of RAM, MS Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3, IE6, AOL 9. 0, Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5, AVG Free 9.0, MBAM

ABBY Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint, Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Adobe Reader 9.2, Quick Time, Real Player Basic, Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem -- --

So let me know how you think upgrading my existing Mozilla Firefox will relate to removing the computer slowing script box? Still don't get it.

Thanks

i was thinking of a way to possibly find out if the problem was with the current browser or external to it .

i thought i would include a little information that might help you to better understand some of the ins and outs of computers :

another possible problem (excluding the script message) for the machine being slow may be that the machine has 256MB of 133 RAM (i looked up the specs of your machine by model number too) .

when that machine was new the antivirus and antimalware programs (and other program types) were "smaller" and used less cpu time .

the more programs you have "running in the background" the more RAM and cpu time that is used to maintain those programs .

your machine also uses part of the RAM for the video and some cpu time to "run" the video .

RAM has gotten faster (as well as the the capabilities of the motherboard to address/read the RAM) since your machine was built .

there is another item called "virtual memory" or "swap file" on the hard drive ...

basically speaking , this is used by programs (including the OS) in place of RAM (so to speak) for various related data functions . information is constantly being written to/read from the "swap file" .

the catch is that a hard drive is much slower than RAM when it comes to reading/writing data .

hard drives have also "gotten faster" since your machine was made ... this is another contributing factor .

even turning off/uninstalling unneeded programs , services and program options (say the quick starter of various programs) gets to the point of little return because of the increased complexity and cpu/ram usage intensiveness/requirements of the more up to date programs/services .

there are more considerations than those i wrote ... however ...

when one adds up all the "little things" it becomes quite a work load .

adding more RAM (up to 2 gigs) would help the situation but will produce limited returns .

a person i know has a machine similar to yours ... the complaint was "is slow" , i took a look at it (about a year ago) .

it took right at 7 minutes to "boot up" from a cold start .

to open any programs after that took a long time ... measured in minutes . the screen would "freeze" and eventually "update" in fits and starts . some of the programs became non-responsive .

the hard drive activity indicator (many times it is a blinking led) was on solid ... basically this means that the hard drive was constantly having data written to and from it .

shutting the machine down took over an hour ... when it didn't freeze up entirely .

in the long run , it may be better to copy off all your data/files and do a full wipe and re-install of your OS and all the programs (i noticed that you have old versions of some programs on your machine , avg is up to the "2012" flavor now) .

but like you said ... "uuuggghhh" ...

a full "system restore" that takes the machine back to "factory fresh" is indeed a last resort as it is very intensive/time consuming ... not a pleasant task by any stretch of the imagination .

"in the long run , it may be better to copy off all your data/files and do a full wipe and re-install of your OS and all the programs (i noticed that you have old versions of some programs on your machine , avg is up to the "2012" flavor now) .

but like you said ... "uuuggghhh" ...

a full "system restore" that takes the machine back to "factory fresh" is indeed a last resort as it is very intensive/time consuming ... not a pleasant task by any stretch of the imagination ."

Thanks for all your help.

How does someone do a full wipe and re-install of the OS and all the programs?

I have an old version of AOL because it works better for me, allows me to have 2 of the site up at the same time, vs. toggling which drives me nuts.

There is "quick" restore which I've done several times and is not hard at all. JUST the backing up process is a pain. Would that take care of re-installing the OS? Duh, don't know.

Thanks

I would highly suggest you do some updating....

You're probably experiencing a slow down because you're getting limited by hardware. A RAM upgrade would be extremely beneficial as CWB said. At this point the solution to your problem is to do a hardware upgrade. You could also maybe look into getting a new computer.

Also, you should be able to check your aol email from anywhere in any browser. http://webmail.aol.com should work fine.

I would highly suggest you do some updating....

You're probably experiencing a slow down because you're getting limited by hardware. A RAM upgrade would be extremely beneficial as CWB said. At this point the solution to your problem is to do a hardware upgrade. You could also maybe look into getting a new computer.

Also, you should be able to check your aol email from anywhere in any browser. http://webmail.aol.com should work fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much. Yes I'm sure it's a case of not enough memory.

1) Can I replace old Ram with new Ram myself? Is it in the tower? Problem is that I don't know max. Ram my computer would support. Any place to get that info?

2) Any point in installing new HD?

OR do these changes add up to a moderately priced new computer?

3) As a last ditch effort (have very little $$$ now), would restore help?

Many thanks, oh to be deebeeeTrump haha.

Computer specs: Dell Dimension DE 051, 2.53 GHz, 256 MB of RAM, MS Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3, IE6, AOL 9. 0, Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5, AVG Free 9.0, MBAM

ABBY Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint, Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Adobe Reader 9.2, Quick Time, Real Player Basic, Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem -- --

256MB or ram is not going to help your cause, you definitely need more memory in your computer (I would start here). I see you have a Dell. Give us your Service Tag number and I will look it up and tell you how much ram it will support as well as what type you need. It is not hard to replace it yourself. If after installing more ram it still runs slow then we will have to check for Malware or un-needed programs running in the background.

Thanks so much. Yes I'm sure it's a case of not enough memory.

1) Can I replace old Ram with new Ram myself? Is it in the tower? Problem is that I don't know max. Ram my computer would support. Any place to get that info?

http://www.4allmemory.com/memory/dell-dimension-1100/ I use them all the time.

Module Type: PC-3200

Total Memory Slots: 2

Maximum Memory: 2048

Standard Memory: 128

System Type: Desktop/Server

Module Type: PC-2700

Form Factor: DIMM

ECC: FALSE

About script errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-should-you-do-about-Internet-Explorer-script-errors

your machine should be able to address 2 gigs of ram ... this is basically a limitation of the motherboard . you can use DDR400 speed ram .

getting a new hard drive will increase the amount of storage but will not help speed due to the design of the machine (motherboard architecture) .

here is the spec link for your DE051/1100 :

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim1100/EN/sm/specs.htm

256MB or ram is not going to help your cause, you definitely need more memory in your computer (I would start here). I see you have a Dell. Give us your Service Tag number and I will look it up and tell you how much ram it will support as well as what type you need. It is not hard to replace it yourself. If after installing more ram it still runs slow then we will have to check for Malware or un-needed programs running in the background.

Hi there,

Thanks for all your help. Sick today, will give you Service Tag # later today or tomorrow. You're very kind to help.

deebeee

http://www.4allmemory.com/memory/dell-dimension-1100/ I use them all the time.

Module Type: PC-3200

Total Memory Slots: 2

Maximum Memory: 2048

Standard Memory: 128

System Type: Desktop/Server

Module Type: PC-2700

Form Factor: DIMM

ECC: FALSE

About script errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-should-you-do-about-Internet-Explorer-script-errors

Thanks!! When I'm feeling a bit better (down with something), will check this out. Is this something you install or .... I'll probably understand when I pull up the link.

Thanks again

deebeee