Can't figure this one out

I was attracted to this site by a google search that brought up a, now locked, topic concerning malwarebytes not being able to open up due to permissions errors.

I can't quite remember what it was, but my computer contracted the annual release of "Microsoft Security 20XX" or whatever it's called awhile back, and more than likely something else. In the past I've taken the measures of transferring all of my important data onto an external hardrive and overwriting everything on the one installed in my computer. This time, since I didn't have the time nor the patience to move everything, I did a halfassed fix on it, ran rkill and went through and took the measures to keep it from opening up and from controlling my internet access.

I doubt I ever completely cleaned it off because I had MBAM and AVG 2011 (Free, of course) installed and neither of them were successful in cleaning it off of my harddrive. After I initially started the scan, each program ran for a few seconds and then the process was killed. When I tried to open them up afterwards, the following message was displayed: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I tried several other programs, for contingency's sake, and the same result came up with all of them.

The virus also redirects my google searches to defunct searchengines.

System Restore will run, but it always comes up with a message saying: "No changes were made to your computer."

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2. I had Service Pack 3 installed, but at the moment, none of my programs that require Service Pack 3 are acknowledging its existence.

Also: Lately, my internet on this computer only, has been experiencing intervals of either extreme lag or complete freezing for periods of between 5 and 30 minutes.

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and extract it into a folder on the infected PC.
  • Execute the file TDSSKiller.exe by double-clicking on it.
  • Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • When its work is over, the utility prompts for a reboot to complete the disinfection.

By default, the utility outputs runtime log into the system disk root directory (the disk where the operating system is installed, C:\ as a rule).

The log is like UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt.

Please post that log here.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

-screen317

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!