Skype and 91.188.34.104

Many times, when I start Skype I get a warning from Malwarebytes that it has blocked access to this potentially malicious site: 91.188.34.104. All the usual what, where, why and how questions...

The server is obviously located in Latvia. How do I find out why this address is on Malwarebytes' bad boy list?

Thanks Sam -- agreed.

I am, however, very interested as to why always this particular server. Given that I live in New Zealand, it seems a little odd that I always hit this Latvian server every time I log on. Given the P2P nature of Skype, I also wonder why this is the only alert I ever get while using it.

I'm not sure, but I would guess that it has something to do with how Skype is routing your connection once you open it. I use Skype myself and I seldom get any IP blocks from it, but on the occasions I have seen it, it will usually be the same server, 89.28.84.147. I'm guessing that this too is related to how Skype is routing my connection. I believe it tries to optimize your connection based on the quickest routes it can find on the peer-to-peer network.