MBAM + HostsMan = Overkill

Dear all,

I have long been using MBAM and HostsMan, both running in real time on my computer. Quick question: Do you think HostsMan is really needed as long as I use MBAM in real time, or do they complement each other nicely? Thanks in advance for your giving you opinions.

Greetings :)

I use HostsMan along with MBAM and I don't think it's overkill. They way the two block sites and the sites they actually block differ greatly. MBAM blocks based on IP addresses, which is great for stopping infections whose domain names change constantly but remain on the same hosting providers/IP's etc. while HostsMan blocks based strictly on domain names, allowing it to block more static malicious domains (domains which are often on IP addresses shared by mostly safe websites, which are sites that would not be blocked by MBAM because we don't block an IP if most of the content on the IP is safe).

HostsMan also blocks advertisements on webpages, something that MBAM doesn't do, and while this generally doesn't serve any purpose for blocking malware, it can make your browsing experience faster and more enjoyable since the ads don't have to load and you don't have to see them on the webpages you visit.

• 1 month later...

If I may add a question to this already useful thread...(since I already use MBAM Pro and HostsMan)...

Is the additional use of AdBlock Plus with Firefox okay if one is using the above?

Any negatives to consider in doing so?

Thanks in advance.