Unable to connect to Digital Video Recorder on DDNS SVC through Internet

leonistic

Hi all,

I am current trying to configure the network settings on a standalone DVR.

I have been doing trial and error all day long to get a 'SUCCESS' on a 'check' while entering the DDNS SVC information.

After figuring out that the IP Configuration & Allocation of the Network in the router was messed up, I finally got the DDNS SVC to give me a 'SUCCESS' reading. Thus, enabling me to remotely access the digital video recorder via a Internet Browser.

Here's the catch ;

I am only able to access the DVR from the PC that has the configuration of the network. (example 10.0.0.1)

and the settings on the DVR have been set to :

IP : 10.0.0.5

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 10.0.0.1

DNS : 10.0.0.1

Port of device is set to 20410.

So entering http://10.0.0.5:20410 directs me to the webclient that enables me to remotely access the device.

Now here's the problem. I want to remotely access it through ANY PC from the internet and by entering the above can't seem to do the job. Please do give any advice on what I've done wrong and what can be done to correct it. I am aware that to access from the internet you have to use your public IP address. And, on the router you need to forward the needed port(s) to the device's private IP address.

As this is a standalone DVR device, it does not require any PC and in turn, not enabling me to actually see what the actual IP is. I have to manually configure it through the in-built system of the standalone DVR.

Will the changed settings below enable me to remote access it via a webclient?

IP : 10.0.0.5 (change this part to the ext ip. of the PC the router is connected to)

However, what I really want is to use the DDNS SVC to work with the webclient. by entering http://1234.neodhs.comort that directs me to the web remote page. Would it work if I get the correct settings changed?

Your help on this matter is most appreciated,

Yours sincerely,

leonistic

IP : 10.0.0.5

So entering http://10.0.0.5:20410 directs me to the webclient that enables me to remotely access the device.

It looks like you are behind a NAT Router so you would have to Port Forward TCP Port 20410 to LAN node 10.0.0.5 on the Router.

It looks like you are behind a NAT Router so you would have to Port Forward TCP Port 20410 to LAN node 10.0.0.5 on the Router.

Hi, I have already did a port forward from 20408 to 20410 already. And everytime I type in the DDNS SVC it directs me to the page of the router's settings instead. What am I doing wrong here?

Hi, I have already did a port forward from 20408 to 20410 already. And everytime I type in the DDNS SVC it directs me to the page of the router's settings instead. What am I doing wrong here?

You stated "So entering http://10.0.0.5:20410 directs me to the webclient that enables me to remotely access the device."

But in your latest reply you stated "port forward from 20408 to 20410 already".

There are 65536 TCP ports and 65536 UDP ports. Each port or sometimes a range of ports will represent a service. A Server or Daemon binds to a TCP or UDP protocol (or both).

For example to host a web server the web server Daemon binds to TCP port 80.

If you are hosting said web service on a node behind a NAT Router then you have to tell the Router to forward all TCP port 80 communications received at the WAN IP to the LAN node hosting web service at TCP port 80.

In your case the web service is a WebCam which has a Daemon bound to TCP port 20410.

Also in your case you have noted the LAN node is on the Private Address of 10.0.0.5 that is hosting the WebCam service at TCP port 20410.

Therefore you have to go into your unnamed NAT Router and enter a rule that forwards all incoming WAN traffic on TCP port 20410 to be forwarded to the LAN node using IP address 10.0.0.5.

Based upon what you have posted, I have no idea what TCP port 20408 is being used for and you can't forward one TCP protocol port to another TCP protocol port. If that is what you are trying to do, that is what you are doing wrong.

{ NOTE: Please don't wait another week to respond. I have ADHD and don't have the patience. breakfast.gif }

Hi,

On the settings of the DVR, it requires ports 20408, 20409 and 20410.

20410 is for remote web access, as for the other 2, 20408 is for streaming and 20409 is for remote setup.

I realized that mistake and did some corrections to the settings of the router, changing it to 20410 to 20410 only.

Still, doesn't work. Directs me to the router's setup page instead. I'm guessing there is still some settings that I have done wrongly on the router to not enabling it to direct to the 10.0.0.5 ip address of the dvr.

Hmm.. headache.

It is not really as requested where I stated... "Please post screen dumps" which isn't the same as you posting the URL to a photo site.

Anyway, you wrote; "...connected to a router which is a connected to the switchhub and in turn to the main router."

Either it is an Ethernet switch (E-Switch) or it is a hub but it can't be a "switchhub" just like there is no ChevyFord. They are two different types of multi-port Ethernet devices. { I'm not going into the technical details of their differences for this discussion }

The pictures show two private address schemes, 192.168.0.x and 10.0.0.x

WAN: 10.0.0.199

LAN: 192.168.0.1

2 routers ? WHY ? That is your problem.

The network needs to be flattened. ONE Router only. One private address scheme with all LAN nodes on the same sub-net.

This graphic doesn't even match what has been discussed.

post-14644-0-17192600-1320929636.jpg