Program Crash | Error Log

MBAM (free) version 1.51.2.1300 on Dell OEM XP Pro Optiplex box.

Of late, several events that I cannot produce crash logs of, the program stops | aborts | stops functioning, generally

during a fetch an update operation.

Have used the remove MBAM file in the hopes of removing this annoyance - app reinstalled, several days later the same

event occured again.

Any pointers as to why these are happening ?

Thank you.

Hello Silj:

If you could capture the error message Silj, it might be helpful.

In the meantime, maybe additional system information might help.

Please download Oldtimer's latest OTL.exe to your Desktop.

To Download/Run OTL:

• Download the most recent OTL.exe from
here.
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change only the following settings:

Change Drivers to:
All

Change Standard Registry to:
All

Under File Scans, check that
File Age
is
30 Days

Click the
Run Scan
button. Do not change any other settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan shouldn't take long.

When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.exe
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

HTH :)

Sorry, this is not a hijack issue, Pete ;) And no, I won't post and OTL log.

Any other suggestions, as surely this is not the first instance of this happening.

The MBAM clean file was purpose designed.

Hello Silj:

If you could capture the error message Silj, it might be helpful.

In the meantime, maybe additional system information might help.

Please download Oldtimer's latest OTL.exe to your Desktop.

To Download/Run OTL:

• Download the most recent OTL.exe from
here.
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change only the following settings:

Change Drivers to:
All

Change Standard Registry to:
All

Under File Scans, check that
File Age
is
30 Days

Click the
Run Scan
button. Do not change any other settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan shouldn't take long.

When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.exe
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

HTH :)

Greetings siljaline :)

Does any sort of error message show up when this issue occurs, and if so, what exactly does it say?

Greetings !

The event has happened perhaps five or six times since last fresh installation after having used the MBAM clean tool.

Unfortunately, it happens so fast I have not been able to get a screenshot or error log.

Please leave thread open and I will attempt to produce something from the Event Viewer or similar at next instance.

Thanks for expedited reply.

Regards,

OK, so it's not an issue where a message box pops up and remains open until you click on OK or similar then? That at least helps to narrow it down a bit. If it were an error thrown from MBAM itself, then it would leave the error message box open so I suspect it's some sort of program crash and it may be throwing a Windows error code.

When I am manually updating, MBAM does crash and throw out a crash box, yes. Windows generates an error log but I have been too busy to fetch the log. When the crash box pop-up box shows, MBAM terminates working and the error log box shows.

It's been to long since I was a Windows Client MVP - if someone could throw out some MS KB's how to fetch an error log such as this, it would be appreciated to get to the bottom of this issue since I do depend on MBAM as a stand-along AS tool.

If Event Viewer, where would I look ? Under applications ? Under Dr. Watson, would that help any ?

Thank you.

This should do the trick :):

Create a Minidump using Sysinternals Process Explorer:

• Please download Sysinternals Process Explorer from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on ProcExp.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click ProcExp.exe to run it.[*]Once the crash happens, leave the error window open and find mbam.exe in the process list in Process Explorer and right-click on it and hover your mouse over Create Dump and select Create Minidump...[*]Save the mbam.dmp file to your desktop and close Process Explorer[*]Right-click on the mbam.dmp file you just created and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder[*]Attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply if it is small enough. If it isn't then please upload it to RapidShare