Cannot Open MBAM after downloading & running latest database

I searched the forums to see if this issue was brought up and I did not come across it, but if it has been, then I apologize.

As usual, with the XP Antivirus and its nasty relatives, the update for MBAM or any antivirus is blocked. I know where to retrieve the latest database for MBAM, and the location of the folder in which the rules is located, but after I download the latest database (mbam-rules.exe) and replace the current rules.ref with the new one that installs from mbam-rules.exe, I cannot open MBAM. I receive the error msg "The database you are using is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Download the latest verion of the program." So I went back on the site and downloaded MBAM again, over the previously installed version. I did not let it do the auto update, and tried this process again, with the same error message.

I am under the assumption that this is the procedure to update MBAM if an antivirus is blocking the program from updating. Is this correct? If so, is there a fix or solution for this?

Thanks for your time!

I just downloaded version 1.32. I did not let it do the auto update that it asks to do after the install. I then went to the GT500 site, downloaded the current datebase (mbam-rule.exe file) to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, ran it, which replaced the original rules.ref with the updated rules.ref file. I am doing this on an uninfected PC, just to be sure it works. Let me know if I have missed a step or what I may be doing wrong.

Am I correct in my thinking that this method of download & install should do the same thing as launching MBAM and hitting the Update button, which tends to be blocked by these virus types?