Program_error_load_database (0, 13, create SDK)

Good morning! I read this forum and uninstalled malwarebytes as instructed, but am now at a loss as to where to find the latest and greatest to upload. Meanwhile, I'm subject to all kinds of viruses while I sit here.

I have a Toshiba/Windows 7. That error msg keeps coming up and I didn't/don't know if I still have/had protection.

Thank you for any help!

Hello and welcome, notatechie:

Please do the following and let us know if it corrects the issue.

• If you are using MBAM PRO, be sure to have your license ID and key handy first.
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important!).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license ID & key you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch MBAM and set the Protection and Registration.
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and then restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Please post back and let us know how it goes,

daledoc1

Thank you for your help! I now have malwarebytes loaded again, and did a quick scan. I feel much safer!

While your problem appears solved, it will likely come back. I have had it about 10 times now...also on a Toshiba running Windows 7. I hope the MBAM folks can find the problem and fix it.

In the meantime, I fix the problem by deleting rules.ref. Sometimes, you have to delete it multiple times and keep trying. Sometimes I reboot, then delete it...I'm not sure why it only works sometimes, but I keep trying until MBAM downloads the new database correctly. It is probably not necessary to do the uninstall and re-install unless you just can't fix it by trying to delete rules.ref multiple times.

When it happens again can u zip up the badd rules.ref and send it to me by pm? or at least give the md5 of it?

Also does it still happen if you hardline to the router?

Thanks.

will do...never connect the laptop with hardline, but I have never had the error on my PC that is harlined to the same router.

When it happens again can u zip up the badd rules.ref and send it to me by pm? or at least give the md5 of it?

Also does it still happen if you hardline to the router?

Thanks.

OK...a lot has happened in a short time...to summarize, I made the error happen again by doing a manual update. I will send the rules file to you in a PM. However, I am pretty certain now that the problem is being caused by ZoneAlarm AV, because two files I downloaded today could not be run...once I turned ZoneAlarm off and re-downloaded them, they ran fine. ZA must be corrupting the MBAM updates.

I am almost sure my problem is ZoneAlarm corrupting the updates. Once I have total proof, I will post it. In the meantime, when the rules.ref gets corrupted, I try and try again to delete it until the new one downloads properly.

Shadowwar has been very helpful and I think he has a handle on this. In the next version, if a new rules.ref gets corrupted, you will still be able to run MBAM.

If you can please give us the version of zonealarm u are running when this happened we are trying to dupe this in the lab. That way we can talk to our contacts at zonealarm and prevent this from happening to us and other programs.

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.250.000

vsmon version: 10.0.250.000

Driver version: 10.0.217.000

Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79

Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1062358208

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.322.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks, Stevie D. I've installed this same version of Zone Alarm on a Windows7 64 bit machine and have not been able to replicate the issue using stock settings. Can you recreate the environment in which the issue occurs? Have you used custom settings in Zone Alarm, for example?

It happens intermittently. It may not happen for a week...then it will occur. It just happened in fact. To prove that ZoneAlarm is the cause, when it happened, I tried to download a manual MBAM update from here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

With ZoneAlarm on, the file downloads, but a generic icon appears on the desktop...when I try to run it, it says not a valid win32 program. It is obviously corrupted. Any file I dowmload from any site will be corruptred at that point. I turned off ZoneAlarm and its Browser Security game me an alert. I re-dowloaded the MBAM manual update and it worked right this time. In fact, running it at that point fixes the program load error and I don't even need to delete rules.ref. It is a great way to fix the problem. I turned ZoneAlarm back on and everything is back to normal for now.

The problem must be ZoneAlarm's Browser Security...it scans downloads. On ZoneAlarm, if you go to INTERNET:WEB SECURITY:SETTINGS:SETTINGS:ADVANCED SETTINGS I have eveything checked.

• Staff

Using default settings and a wired connection, I am still unable to replicate any of the issues you're having. I do see an alert from Browser Security when downloading our mbam-rules or mbam-clean but the downloads complete successfully.

Can you restore ZoneAlarm settings to default if you've customized them?

Can you use a wired connected for a brief period to try to see if it's the wireless aspect of things causing the issue on this machine?

Using default settings and a wired connection, I am still unable to replicate any of the issues you're having. I do see an alert from Browser Security when downloading our mbam-rules or mbam-clean but the downloads complete successfully.

Can you restore ZoneAlarm settings to default if you've customized them?

Can you use a wired connected for a brief period to try to see if it's the wireless aspect of things causing the issue on this machine?

I'm kinda busy...try this...open MBAM and hit update manually...this has precipitated the problem in the past.

• Staff

Thanks, I understand if you're too busy. I had already done so, multiple times, but I just did so again. With the configuration I'm using, I have had no issues manually updating, or with automatic updates.

This is why I suspect it may be related to wireless. If you find the time to try the laptop with a wired connection, we'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

If you can replicate the Program_error_load_database (0, 13, createSDK) error using your wireless configuration, if you have time, please run this diagnostic tool.

Create a DebugView Log:

* Download DebugView by Microsoft Sysinternals from here and save it to your desktop

http://live.sysinternals.com/Dbgview.exe

* Double-click on DebugView.exe to run it Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you must right-click on it and choose Run as administrator

* Click on Capture at the top and click once on each of the following so that they are checked:

o Capture Win32

o Capture Global Win32

o Capture Kernel

o Enable Verbose Kernel Output

o Pass-Through

o Capture Events

* Click on File at the top and select Log to File As...

* In the box that pops up, click on the ... button to the right of where it says Log File:

* Browse to your Desktop and name the log MBAM Debug and click on Save

* Make certain that Unlimited Log Size is selected and click on OK

* Replicate the error message by trying to open/update MBAM and click on OK to the error message

* Once that is complete, close DebugView and right-click on the MBAM Debug.log file now located on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) folder

* Attach the MBAM Debug.zip file you just created to your next reply

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I understand if you're too busy. I had already done so, multiple times, but I just did so again. With the configuration I'm using, I have had no issues manually updating, or with automatic updates.

This is why I suspect it may be related to wireless. If you find the time to try the laptop with a wired connection, we'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

If you can replicate the Program_error_load_database (0, 13, createSDK) error using your wireless configuration, if you have time, please run this diagnostic tool.

Create a DebugView Log:

* Download DebugView by Microsoft Sysinternals from here and save it to your desktop

http://live.sysinternals.com/Dbgview.exe

* Double-click on DebugView.exe to run it Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you must right-click on it and choose Run as administrator

* Click on Capture at the top and click once on each of the following so that they are checked:

o Capture Win32

o Capture Global Win32

o Capture Kernel

o Enable Verbose Kernel Output

o Pass-Through

o Capture Events

* Click on File at the top and select Log to File As...

* In the box that pops up, click on the ... button to the right of where it says Log File:

* Browse to your Desktop and name the log MBAM Debug and click on Save

* Make certain that Unlimited Log Size is selected and click on OK

* Replicate the error message by trying to open/update MBAM and click on OK to the error message

* Once that is complete, close DebugView and right-click on the MBAM Debug.log file now located on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) folder

* Attach the MBAM Debug.zip file you just created to your next reply

Zone Alarm put out an update to version 10.1.056...after upgrading, I have not had the MBAM issue. Will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, great. Thanks for letting us know.

More info:

The error is occurring again, despite the Zone Alarm update. Furthermore, I also rum MBAM on my desktop. I never got the error on my desktop, but I had never updated ZA on the desktop to the offending versions. A few days ago, I updated to the latest ZA and just got the error on my desktop.

We now know two things for sure...ZA is the problem and it has nothing to do with wi-fi. ZA's browser security is corrupting downloads, not just for MBAM, but for anything you download. If you close ZA, re-boot the problem goes away for awhile, but always comes back.