Says I have latest database but I dont

I have this problem with my older version and I just uninstalled and reinstalled the newest yet I see the same following problem.

With the latest version I installed, it asked if I wanted to update the DB. I said yes and the message I see is "You have the latest database version".

The application then started and under the Update tab I see

Date: 8/31/2011

Database version: 7622

Fingerprints loaded: 342597

I clicked the "Check For Updates" button. A popup says connecting to server then another popup says "You have the latest database version" which I obviously don't.

I also ran the mbam-rules.exe manual update but the same thing happens.

So my question is...

Is this the symptom of some kind of malware intercepting my attempt to update the database or could this be something else?

Hi and welcome to MBAM, mmmmike:

Problems with updating can be caused by a range of issues, from firewall/AV conflicts or blocks, to database corruption, to malware.

I know you say you've reinstalled at least once.

Did you use the mbam-clean tool when you did?

If not, & assuming you don't suspect malware, then until someone more expert comes along, you might want to try a clean reinstall that includes setting up the reciprocal exclusions between MBAM and your AV/firewall.

Here is how:

• If you are using MBAM PRO, be sure to have your license ID and key handy first.
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (very important!).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license ID & key you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch MBAM and set the Protection and Registration.
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray (if using the PRO version).
  • Now set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and then restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs HERE, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Please post back and let us know if this resolves your issue.

If it doesn't & if you don't think you are infected, then please tell us:

• What is your OS is (XP, Vista, 7)?
  • Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • What brand and version of AV and firewall and other security programs are you running?
  • Do you use a router?
  • Are you able to update your other programs and does Windows Updates work OK?

This info will help the experts to determine if your AV or firewall might be blocking MBAM's access to the update servers.

A more expert member or MBAM staffer might have additional or different suggestions, :)

daledoc1

PS IIRC If you manually copied the rules.ref file onto the computer in question, the UI will not display the fact that it is the current version, even though it is. It only does so when the database is updated from within the program.

I used the MBAM clean tool this time but get the same result. After I reinstalled the application it asked if I want to update the database but then says I have the latest.

I have several machines on my router and internet connection and the others have no problem updating and this machine has no problem running any other updates.

I then updated one of my other PCs and copied the rules.ref file from it to this machine and then ran a full scan which found no infections. Now it actually is up to date even though the displayed date is August 31, 2011 so I wont know if the issue continues until a new update is posted.

This is an older 32bit XP pro machine SP3 running CA Internet Security Suite. The router is a Netgear WNDR3400.

I also pinged the mbam update server and I see a reply.

The reason why I am suspicious is this machine has started to act strangely, slowing down, occasionally is busy but I cant see anything in the system monitor that can explain it. I also haven't installed anything recently and the update used to work.

Thanks.

Hello mmmmike:

Please test your system's basic connectivity with your current MBAM database update server.

Depress the Windows + R keys.

Cut and Paste the following into Run's Open: window and left-click OK.

cmd.exe /k ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

This will open, and keep open - till dismissed, a command window that pings x4, the current MBAM database update server. Please reply with your results.

Please use the Add-Reply.png button instead of other ones when you reply. :)

Done (a few times). I do have connectivity but see an occasional Request Timed Out. See below:

Pinging mwbyte.vo.llnwd.net [68.142.79.69] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=56

Request timed out.

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 68.142.79.69:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 20ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=56

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56

Request timed out.

Reply from 68.142.79.69: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=56

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 35ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Please do the following and see if it corrects it or not and let us know.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Ok. I'll try tonight or tomorrow. My AV is running a full scan at the moment and probably won't finish for 3 or 4 more hours. The reason I posted here is because CA was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I am also using that. Was that a factor to consider? This software was updated since the last successful attempt to update the Malwarebytes database.