Malwarebytes & Microsoft Security Essentials

Have already read several forum topics discussing Malwarebytes & Microsoft Seucrity Essentials potential conflicts and how to resolve using "ignore" list in Malwarebytes and "settings" in MSE .. I tried all that and still got conflicts, with occasional freezing and blue screens ... and my computer had just been cleaned up and ahd a new hard drive installed and debugged and all, that good stuff ... the problem I find is that some forums give 3 files to exclude in MSE for Malwarebytes under the "processes to exclude" tab and other forums give additional files to exclude under "files and folders to exclude" in MSE ... problem is that some forums that list more than the 3 process files to exclude under "processes" conflict with each other as to additional files and folders to exclude under "files and folders" .. some forums give only 3 or 4 additional files and folders and other forums give up to 6 or so to exclude ... and when I search under C:\Windows\System32\driver or C:\Documents and Settings or wherever all the differing files and folders are supposed to be, some of the files and folders cannot be found ... I suspect this is because some of these conflicting forums date back to 2008 or 2009 and it is possible that Malwarebytes has somehow upgraded their file listings and some of the forum recommended files and filders to exclude have been removed, relocated, or incorporated into other files and folders by Malwarebytes ...

So it really is confusing as to exactly what must be excluded without excluding too much ... my current "prcesses" exclusions are the mbam,mbamgui, and mbamservice files found under Program Files ... since I cannot find some of the other recommended files and filders listed in system32\drivers or documents and settings & etc, I have sort of given up trying to exclude them ...

Anyone from Malwarebytes have the most up to date skinny on exclusions?? ... I am running Windows Home XP ... this last time around today, I followed advice from a forum and uninstalled MSE and reinstalled it and updated it and made sure the exclusions were set, then booted in safe mode, uninstalled Malwarebytes, restarted in regular mode, reinstalled Malwarebytes, and then set its "ignore" list for MSE in general per forum instructions ...

But who the heck knows if this will work this time ...

also of note if your using the pro version of mbam id suggest try turnign off the real protection reboot the computer and then add hte exeptions to mse and mbam then turn the protections for mbam back on

Should have originally noted that I am running the Pro version of Malwarebytes ... when I started computer in safe mode, uninstalled Malwarebytes, then restarted and reinstalled Malwarebytes, I made sure per post instructions in section I (I had found that section earlier) to not enable Malwarebytes until after produict had been updated and exclusions had been set ... but I got a blue screen later that day anyway ... this laptop computer is an Inspiron 4100 and is only used as a backup to the desktop or if I go to a client office and need to do portable work at their office ...

I am diligent about not using the laptop for email, as I prefer to have all my email on the main business desktop computer, so as not to have important mail split between 2 computers ... and I rarely use the web on the laptop (thru a wireless connections) ..

This morning I tried disabling the active Pro aspect of Malwarebytes, since I rarely use the web on laptop anyway ... yeah, I paid the $25 for Pro but if enabling it is going to cause these blue screens, that is no good ...

Laptop has almost nothing on it ... Home XP, Office Suite for Word word processing and Works spreadsheeting ... and files related to current and past years of TurboTax ... other than that the only software or drivers are what originally came with the computer for fax modems and stuff ... I have not added anything to the computer except Microsoft Fix It, Adobe pdf reader, and Quicken QFP financial planner ... but the financial planner has been on the laptop for years and years, as has the Adobe pdf reader ... only the Microsoft Fix It is new since the computer had its hard drive replaced and bigger RAM chips installed a few weeks ago ...

Hello molyneux51:

Please start a new topic in the Computer Help -> PC Help subforum after following the below procedure:

The following procedure converts your system's Mini Dump(s) to a more readable form:

1. In Normal Mode, download Nir Sofer's latest BlueScreenView and save/extract it to your Desktop.
  2. Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe icon to run the program.
  3. When the program finishes scanning, left-click Edit --> Select All.
  4. Left-click File --> Save Selected Items.
  5. Save the report as BSOD.txt to your Desktop.
  6. Attach the BSOD.txt file to the post.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Hello molyneux51:

Please start a new topic in the Computer Help -> PC Help subforum after following the below procedure:

The following procedure converts your system's Mini Dump(s) to a more readable form:

1. In Normal Mode, download Nir Sofer's latest BlueScreenView and save/extract it to your Desktop.
  2. Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe icon to run the program.
  3. When the program finishes scanning, left-click Edit --> Select All.
  4. Left-click File --> Save Selected Items.
  5. Save the report as BSOD.txt to your Desktop.
  6. Attach the BSOD.txt file to the post.

Thank you for your patience. :)

Blue Screen View doesn't click open to view ... instead, you are told there is no screen to view ... error ... beware of the Blue Phantom ...

Hello molyneux51:

Please configure your system to generate/save MiniDump files. Please go to the second section of Configuring Windows to Save MiniDump Files and check/change the configuration to conform.

When completed, please return to #5 post above when your system has produced a BSOD.

Thank you for your patients. :)

1PW, got it all figgered out, just typed in Nir Sofer Blue Screen Review in browser and found the download online ... results of 4 or 5 crashes over past week are attached ... I did double check my Computer and the log retaining settings you advised, they were already set up properly ... thanks for analyzing this for me, dunno how you guys decipher all this crap ...

Hello molyneux51:

I apologize for the defective link in post #5 above. Although you have worked through the error, I have re-written the embedded link for future reference.

Your XP's MiniDumps would seem to lead towards possible hardware, driver, or hard disk drive corruption trouble. Additionally, nothing in the MiniDumps point towards an MBAM trouble.

Again, please consider starting a new topic in Malwarebytes' Computer Help -> PC Help subforum and include your BSOD,txt file as an attachment for reference.

HTH :)