Malwarebytes and McAfee Security Suite

I am sure that someone must have asked this, but as I'm new here and didn't find it.

I purchased the Malwarebytes upgrade version after finding that it removed a piece of malware that McAfee did not find. McAfee recommended that I get it when their support people were at a loss.

Today I downloaded McAfee Security Suite provided by my ISP.

During the install it asked me remove Malwarebytes due to compatability issues. I skipped that step but wonder if one or both programs/scans/updates will not function correctly.

I am very reliant on both programs and do not wish to remove either as both detect issues.

Can someone direct me to a thread (if it exists) that will answer this?

Thank you, all.

Hello and :welcome:

First let me start by saying I am not on the Malwarebytes staff. I however do run Malwarebytes and McAfee together on my computers. Granted, I am using a Corp. Edition of McAfee. There are other folks around her that also use both products. You will however have to enter exceptions in both McAfee and Malwarebytes so that both programs can co-exist on the same computer. Below you will find the instructions for the exceptions for McAfee Total Protection 2011. Those exceptions and instructions should be similar in your version of McAfee.

McAfee Total Protection 2011

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011 on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Thank you very much, Firefox.

I knew that I would get the answer here and hopefully others who have this question will search it and find it.

I hope that they thank you, as well.

Just noticed that there's an unfortunate typo in the thread title I submitted. Might prevent a search for this?

Maybe the "forum admin person" can fix it.

Thank you, again.