Google redirecting virus has me

I've been battling a virus on my wife's computer that has me stumped. The symptoms are that clicking on google links often go to the wrong web site, although my wife says that the same thing has happend in email links. I tried to run malwarebytes quick scan, but after a few seconds it simply quit. Attempting to run it again generates:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Reloading a fresh copy from my computer repeats the same process. After searching around, I found and ran Kaspersky's TDSSKiller which found two infections:

Rootkit.Win32.Zaccess.e in 18042prt.sys

Suspect file 1415057816:1743693739.exe

It claims that it will clean it, but after the reboot the problem persists -- although the Rootkit infection moves to a different driver. I performed the cleanup multiple times until the infected driver was one used in networking, then without fixing it booted into safe mode without networking. I then ran TDSSKiller again, finding the same infections, and cleaned them up booting into safe mode once more. TDSSKiller then failed to find any infections. I was then able to successfully run mbam.exe in safe mode with the latest updates (updated on my computer and copied) and the quick scan ran to completion finding 11 infections. I told it to clean them and it said it needed rebooting. I did, and upon reboot happily started mbam.exe again expecting all to be well.

I am back to the beginning again. Mbam won't run and TDSSKiller is finding the same two infections.

I am attaching the latest tdsskiller log.

I am at a loss as to what to try next!

TDSSKiller.2.5.22.0_17.09.2011_09.53.56_log.txt

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!