"Microsoft Security Center Alert"

Hi,

I am new to this form and need some help in solving a niggling problem.

A week or so ago, I received a suspicious popup when I attempted to access my Yahoo email program from Google. It read: "Your computer have been attacked by spyware or viruses! Please download Antispyware to fix. Download Now!" (The grammar leaves a lot to be desired.) The message appeared on an authentic-looking Microsoft letterhead, however I doubt very much it was from Microsoft and I have downloaded nothing from that site.

I run Norton scans twice weekly and also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free version) installed which I run weekly. So far, nothing has turned up in either scan. Although my default browser is Firefox, I occasionally use Internet Explorer (6) - the Microsoft alert appears there as well.

Could some knowledgeable person on this forum be kind enough to help me out, please? A techie I am not!

Many thanks.

• Root Admin

Hello Carleton and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.