Freezing Issues

Have had this problem so some time (ie. various version of Malwarebytes), but it is only on one PC. Have installed on two other PCs. One is XP Pro, one is XP Home. The unit that freezes is XP Media Center. Have also installed on at least 10 other PCs for friends with no problems. Great program.

Runs okay is safe mode on my Media Center PC, but under normal conditions, freezes after about 10 seconds. Uninstalled the previous version, restarted, ran the cleanup utility, restarted, then installed the latest version. Still freezes. Ran the debug option several times, and it looks like it stopped at Temporary Folder: C:\WINDOWS\Temp each time.

Here are the last few lines of the debug file...

Temporary Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Mellott\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp

Temporary Folder: C:\WINDOWS\Temp

All machines currently have McAfee Internet Security installed.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per your request, disabled McAfee IS and ran a quick scan. Everything ran okay. Scanned 100,556 files in 5min 2 sec.

Then decided to run a full scan. Seemed to start okay, so left the PC to run unattended. When I returned about 30 minutes later, the PC had restarted - not sure what had happened - no log file for that scan.

Then disabled McAfee again (was set to reset on restart), and tried a full scan. Ran for 45 sec - 28876 files, and then system froze.

Restarted, disabled McAfee, and tried quick scan - ran for 5 seconds - 4902 files, and locked the system up scanning Windows\system32

Not sure what to try now. This seems to be similar to the experiences when BitDefender IS was installed - disabled and it ran once, but then froze the second time.

Also, there is another difference with this system from the others - I am running Memeo Auto Backup on this PC. Since this is scanning the files for changes and backing up the files in close to "real time", not sure if this could be a conflict or not.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

Paused the backup and started a quick scan. Seemed to be working okay - after about 5 minutes - blue screen of death and system restarted.

After restart - paused backup again - started quick scan - ran for about 9 seconds and stopped again at Windows\system32 - PC completely frozen except I could still move the curser.

Seems like I change a setting or disable a program - scan runs for a while and then hits a fatal error - restart with the same program disabled and freezes after only a few seconds.

This "behavior" happened for BitDefender, McAfee (later after BD was removed), and the backup program.

Since I can't produce the same situation in a consistent manner, any suggestions?

Thanks...

• Staff
Yes, there are two files - one from the crash last night, and one from early today. How can I send them to you?

You can either attach them to your next post here or send them to Rubber Ducky as attachments to a PM (Personal Message), but I'd recommend the latter as he'd probably notice it more quickly (he's a pretty busy guy).

Not sure if this information will help the admins and devolpers but ive learned over the years. Every information can be vital no matter how small.

I have nod32 smart security and i was crashing since last update everytime that i did a full scan. Another forum person suggested there might be a conflict between nod32 and malwarebytes real time protection. So i did a series of tests and it turns out if. I turn off malwarebytes real time protection. It scans without a crash.

:D

Kaiserwolf, the system crashed when you did a full scan with what? NOD32, or MBAM?

No basically. I had to force a shutdown of mbam. The system and nod32 were fine.

However it scanned fine without a crash in both quick and full mode after. I turned off mbam real time protection. My guess is its conflicting with various internet security programs.

Your program comes highly recommended by Cloudeight, however, after updating the program and attempting to run a scan, it freezes up and says "program not responding". I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, use IE7. I've tried running a short scan and a long scan. Both freeze up. The version of Malwarebytes installed is 1.34. I wanted to purchase your program (currently using the free version) but if it doesn't work, then I won't be making the purchase. My anti-virus program is AVAST. I had read other posts where people have "disabled" their anti-virus program to allow your program to scan and that should never be the case. I hope you will be able to help me fix the problem so that I can use your program. Thank you.

Your program comes highly recommended by Cloudeight, however, after updating the program and attempting to run a scan, it freezes up and says "program not responding". I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, use IE7. I've tried running a short scan and a long scan. Both freeze up. The version of Malwarebytes installed is 1.34. I wanted to purchase your program (currently using the free version) but if it doesn't work, then I won't be making the purchase. My anti-virus program is AVAST. I had read other posts where people have "disabled" their anti-virus program to allow your program to scan and that should never be the case. I hope you will be able to help me fix the problem so that I can use your program. Thank you.

I understand your concerns but this is trually a wonderful product and does amazing work in the ways of spyware and malware. This problem happen with the last update and they are working on it so be patient. I wouldnt ever have a pc without malware and trust me ive tested it. It primarily is having a conflict with real time mbam protection and internet security programs.

And personally i prefer drive sentry or nod32 for internet security nonmbam wise. Nod32 and malwarebytes. Your basically god mode.

I understand your concerns but this is trually a wonderful product and does amazing work in the ways of spyware and malware. This problem happen with the last update and they are working on it so be patient. I wouldnt ever have a pc without malware and trust me ive tested it. It primarily is having a conflict with real time mbam protection and internet security programs.

And personally i prefer drive sentry or nod32 for internet security nonmbam wise. Nod32 and malwarebytes. Your basically god mode.

"I wouldnt ever have a pc without malwarebytes." Is what i meant to say lol.

Hello,

I would like just to confirm that the freezing problem is still there.

I just ran a quick scan with Norton 360 version 2.0 active.

This time the freezing occured on ... "C:\Windows\System\tapi" ...

MBAM ... "does not answer any more" ... appeared ...

Without closing MBAM, I disabled Auto-Protect in Norton ... and ... MBAM continued ... from this point on ... to the end ... without any trouble at all this time ...

Just for information ... to whom it may concern ...

Have a good day.

Hi Cobra1234

I've just got into the habit of running MBAM scans with my Norton 360 2.0 with Auto-Protect disabled ... and re-enabled straight after.

I guess unless we hear otherwise it's probably up to Norton/Symantec to create some "exemption" to allow MBAM scans ... probably not much the MBAM team itself can do as it's probably not a good idea to circumvent N360's protection system as this may create more conflicts.

Fortunately we still have a work around that works for now ... I guess the MBAM team can discuss the issue with Norton/Symantec in due course.

Have a great day!