Freezing Issues

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those looking for version 1.32 you can find it here. Do not update the database or product.

OK, I've downed & installed v1.32 and did not allow it to update.

Followed the instructions to the letter.

When the crash occurred (Full Scan) I too was unable to save the log file (I restarted & ran again but got the same result).

The only bit of Info I can offer is this

I watched the "Debugview" window as it populated and the very last entry (at point of freeze) was

"Connect to Server Error 0X274D"

-

Hi Guys

I guess on reflection it's not really a case of "freezing" ... although all the outward signs are that this is what is happening ... it's more a case that the scans take a LOT longer.

I have today submitted recent scan logs (MBAM staff see Request #2575) and you will note how Quick scan time increases from ~3 minutes to ~20 minutes going from 1.31 to 1.33 for my ~190GB of data & programs. The "slow down" is still occuring in the C:\windows\installer directory ... I have now checked all boxes under Settings (except "Terminate IE during removal").

Looking back over all my logs it seems to me that the "problem" arose not so much with 1.33 but the database updates from 1698 onwards ... i.e. my system slowed at 1701 ... I like others (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10404) seem to recall an update from "1701 to 1701" (or similar ... I'm not sure but it was an update to an update from "16xx to 16xx" or "17xx to 17xx", I cannot precisely recall) about the time the problem began ... I din't think much about it at the time thinking it was a "hiccup" to do with the update to 1.33.

I have a question: is there some risk that your product (updates) may have been compromised by the recent move to have ~1000 servers providing access to updates ... I was happy getting my updates from Security Wonks (who I also use for Spybot) now I don't know where the updates are coming from ... and I guess links can be hijacked?

I am in Perth, Western Australia ... are other reporting the "freezing" problem also in my geographic area? How widespread is the freezing problem? Perhaps our local MBAM server is/was compromised? Again just a thought from a non-IT person.

A ~20 minute "quick" scan is not ideal! Is the MBAM team closer to a solution?

I had problems with freezing after updating to version 1.33, earlier versions worked without a hitch.

It turned out to be a conflict with Norton AntiVirus 2008. If I turn off NAV's LiveProtect temporarily, MalwareBytes' quick scan runs without freezing, and a lot faster too!

Others, however, seem to have no problem with Malwarebytes in combination with Norton products, so I'm not sure what the real cause is. (See MalwareBytes on Woody's Lounge)

OK, just for future reference, Symantec (Norton) allows you to update to the newest version as long as your subscription is still valid. Doesn't matter much now, but once 2010 comes out it might be helpful. When you do upgrade, I (and many other techy types like me) highly recommend using the Norton Removal Tool to make sure all the components of the old version are completely removed. That site I linked to (it's on Symantec's support site) gives you a step by step walkthrough on using the tool and backing up your license info etc. to make removing and upgrading easy.

> Symantec (Norton) allows you to update to the newest version as long as your subscription is still valid

Thanks, I didn't know that. I have upgraded to Norton AntiVirus 2009, but it didn't make a difference with respect to the Malwarebytes problem: a quick scan slows down to a crawl in the C:\Windows\Installer folder. It doesn't come to a complete standstill, but each file takes minutes to scan. All processes except mbam.exe, including all Norton-related processes, are at 0% CPU usage. Yet disabling Norton 2009 autoprotect temporarily lets Malwarebytes run through its scan quickly.

Hi!

I uninstalled the version 1-33 and downloaded the vesion 1-34. The quick scan always freezes on the system file C:\Windows\Installer\111fa.msi. In order to do a scan without freeze; I have to disable all the parameters of Norton 2009: antivirus, antispyware, advanced protction,, analyses mail, intrusion prevention

Just to confirm that I have exactly the same problem... with version 1.33 and version 1.34 ...

The freezing always occurs on the folder ... "C:\Windows\Installer" ...

I have ... Norton 360 ...

In order to check if Norton 360 "guilty" was ... I uninstalled totaly same from my PC ... and ... made a quick scan with MBAM v.1.34 ... without any freezing at all ...

Not any problem ... quick scan ... perfect ...

I re-installed Norton 360 ... made a quick scan with version 1.34 ... and ... again ... total freezing on the same folder ...

I think we therefore may assume that THE problem definitely is with ... Norton ...

Any suggestion(s) to solve this problem ???

@Rainbow1112:

The debug mode is now built into the normal version of 1.34. All the command line options are listed in the help file. Just run it with the /debug option.

@cobra1234:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be helpful. I'd say it's either up to the MBAM developers or Symantec to fix it as it probably has something to do with conflicting drivers or something used by one of the programs.

when i use the debug option MBAM /debug it just save a text file... Wad i wan is the same as the 1st page wad the admin have post so i count help malwarebytes debug this problem...

Sorry about that, I thought it was the same thing (I hadn't tested the /debug switch yet). We'll either have to wait for another special build or more info from the developers.

Hi cobra 1234 and exile360

I've just noticed the latest posts here on the ongoing/widespread MBAM freezing issue ... I too have Norton 360 2.0 and never had any freezing problems with MBAM versions prior to 1.33 in late January. So either it was something introduced in MBAM 1.33 or by Norton in one of its late January updates ... anyway there seems to be some software conflict/incompatability between these two otherwise good products.

So having read Cobra1234's post I temporarily Disabling (not Uninstalling) Norton 360's "Auto-Protect" (by right-clicking on the N360 taskbar icon) I now get a sub 1 minute Quick MBAM Scan as opposed to the ~18 minute "Quick" ones that stalled in the C:\windows\installer directory that I have been experiencing for about 2 weeks (my most recent post is here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...howtopic=11218).

So for Norton 360 user it would seem to circumvent the "freezing" issue the solution is to temporarily disable Norton 360's "Auto-Protect" for 15 minutes for Quick Scans and however long the Full Scans used to take pre- Version 1.33.

Not sure whether Norton 360 was also responsible for not allowing MBAM to update its graphical interface properly (that seems to have been resolved though) to show that 1.34 was installed and running.

Big drama ... and perhaps a simple (and with 20-20 hindsight "obvious") solution.

Excellent work!

• Staff
Hi cobra 1234 and exile360

I've just noticed the latest posts here on the ongoing/widespread MBAM freezing issue ... I too have Norton 360 2.0 and never had any freezing problems with MBAM versions prior to 1.33 in late January. So either it was something introduced in MBAM 1.33 or by Norton in one of its late January updates ... anyway there seems to be some software conflict/incompatability between these two otherwise good products.

So having read Cobra1234's post I temporarily Disabling (not Uninstalling) Norton 360's "Auto-Protect" (by right-clicking on the N360 taskbar icon) I now get a sub 1 minute Quick MBAM Scan as opposed to the ~18 minute "Quick" ones that stalled in the C:\windows\installer directory that I have been experiencing for about 2 weeks (my most recent post is here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...howtopic=11218).

So for Norton 360 user it would seem to circumvent the "freezing" issue the solution is to temporarily disable Norton 360's "Auto-Protect" for 15 minutes for Quick Scans and however long the Full Scans used to take pre- Version 1.33.

Not sure whether Norton 360 was also responsible for not allowing MBAM to update its graphical interface properly (that seems to have been resolved though) to show that 1.34 was installed and running.

Big drama ... and perhaps a simple (and with 20-20 hindsight "obvious") solution.

Excellent work!

Excellent detailed work on your part too! Thanks for taking the time to help us out. Even if the fix was obvious.