Memory Management

Bobc11

It keeps using tons of memory, then hits the 160MB memory cap in Windows. It then dumps everything to swap space and continues storing new information in the memory. Then it hits the caps and dumps to swap. it is pretty much repetitive. What is it storing into memory that uses so much space? :blink:

I don't find it to be so much of a bug, but more of a memory management problem with the code.

Can someone help me with this issue? I have not been able to find anything online for VB 2010 about memory management. Any Ideas??

What does ProcessExplorer say about the memory usage of the various processes on the system?

It is the higest, then it goes down, SWAP increases, it goes up, SWAP decreases, and then it goes down again, and you get the picture.

What's the exact process name? Could you get a screenshot of the ProcessExplorer window so that we can see the data (preferably with it clearly using odd amounts of memory)?

Intellistar Emulator.exe

(I reduced the quality so it would upload faster with my slow internet)

post-14954-0-37954200-1315605614.png

post-14954-0-18334900-1315605613.png

Intellistar Emulator? Isn't that a weather program? I assume you got it from intellistaremulator.b1.jcink.com?

Edit: After taking a closer look at those forums at the URL I posted, I have a suspicion that you are the developer of that app. :P

How did you know!:lol: Anyway, the development staff and other administrative "ofiicals" we'll say EX Beta Testers, etc can not seem to figure out how to fix this recurring problem, as it is very limiting on the amount of time the program can run before it significantly slows down.

What do you mean by that?

Wikipedia:

"In computer science, garbage collection (GC) is a form of automatic memory management. The garbage collector, or just collector, attempts to reclaim garbage, or memory occupied by objects that are no longer in use by the program."

I do feel I should mention that garbage collection is not automatic in all programming languages. In some, such as C, you have to do it manually. I don't know how garbage collection works in VB 2010 (you would think that Microsoft would set that up to be automatic by now), but you may want to do some searching to find out. ;)