Catch'gUp Post Lightn'g Attak--MBAM Pro UpDate?

Hello, "All,"

As I said in my topic, we had a lightning attack (9/2--yep--just as the Labor Day Wkend was beginning--IOW: had a HUGE "Cosmic Chuckle" as Murphey's Law goes) that wiped out the Net Connex of almost 1/2 the town's users. JUST got connections back now and need update my MBAM program for the latest updates I've missed but my question is *HOW*?

One would think it'd happen automatically, as I have real protection enabled, but I've been online for approx 45 minutes thus far and so far, no MBAM update. (Is still the 9/2 data & I KNOW at *least* sev'l gazillion nasties have been invented in the interim.)

Any suggestions? Tried disabling "real time" (but won't let me) to try a manual update. Went to the UPDATER settings--still no go.

Tho' I COULD, as a "Pro user," send an email to tech support, prefer not to wait that long (24 hrs) for an answer AND, coz Toshiba, midst trying to find a solution to my prob beFORE my ISP reopened after the long holiday, had me uninstall my 6 mo-free trial of Panda Cloud (which I ADORE, btw--ck it out, all ye Panda virgins), am essentially on the internet sans protection. (Figured having a current version of MBAM would be my 1st step in renewing my protection and THEN (as in, as soon as I post this) will be going back to "my guys" at Panda, throw myself at their mercy & hopefully, be allowed the remainder of my 6 mo free trial by them...

So once again -- any ideas on how to update my MBAM when the autoupdate is enabled and it's *not* autoupdating?

PS: Living w/o the Net over the loooong wkend was worse than all 5 versions of "SAW" combined! (May it *never* happen to ANY of you! --Have no cable TV--am in the process of starting my own biz--IOW: have had NO contact "w/ the outside world since last FRIDAY! <Obama IS still the Prez, rt? I mean the GOP hasn't helf a coup or anything, have they?)

Love & appreciation to all...

Silver

Hi Silver,

Having the protection module set does not automatically ensure that the rules definition database will be updated, though it is required for automatic updates to occur.

The updater settings sub-tab is only intended for main program updates and proxy settings.

Have you set the update scheduler and assigned a recovery time? Please see here for an overview of the scheduler

Manual updates can be run from the Update tab regardless of the protection module settings. The program is designed to update while the protection module is running, and as stated above,in the case of automatic updates, it is required.

However, manual updates do require that you be running from a Windows administrator account.

If you are running from a standard limited user account, this option is grayed out because those types of users don't have privileges to make global changes that affect other users.

You can check the account type by going to Control Panel -> User Accounts.

If you try updating manually from an administrator account do you see any error messages?

Though not needed for updates, for future reference, you can untick the check box for Start with Windows on the Protection tab and reboot to gain control of the enable protection module setting. You can also right-click the tray icon and select Exit.

Hi, Jack!

First & foremost, thanks SO much for your quick reply. (Was exactly what I was hoping for.) Never occurred to me to switch to my admin acc't -- soon as I did so, what I need do was clear. (IOW: All's well now.)

Need apologize for MY lateness in thanking you for the help. I'd written you from a (ssshhhh! --will be our little secret, 'kay?) pirated wireless connection I'd found unprotected coz my ethernet connect'n was running slower than a dial-up connect & by the time I'd finished sending my post to *you*, the sun had come up & I feared being detected by the wi-fi user. (I'd avoided paying for my own acc't by pirating a wi-fi connect'n before, not knowing that whenever my MagicJack was activated (unsure if I mentioned am unemployed & trying to start my own biz, IOW: am cutting corners on EVERYTHING 'cept my dogs food, biscuits & monthly toy [what can I say? My dog is my "kid," y'know?]) ...when my MJ activated, its "splachscreen came up on the wifi users screen! (Thank heavens' I'd the presence of mind to NOT use the "911 emgcy address" info or my "tushy would've been in DEEP caca!" [Was totally harmless pirating--if I didn't think of using my admin acc't, do I *really* strike you as a likely hacker?])

Anyway, again, thanks SO very much for the quick "rescue" of this "damsel in distress"... Should the PCAV "guys" not come thru, you'll be replacing Shadowman as my favorite "knight in shining armor!" :rolleyes: .

BTW, I'd spoken w/ Shadowman @ PCAV (following MBAM's lead) about setting aside a section in their support area for A "Humor" section, akin to your "Tailwaggers & Jokes" area. Coz I've a KILLER joke I've been DYING to share, am gonna give PCAV another week or so to make up their minds abt it [they need clear it w/ Corporate] but if they don't act on it -- SOON -- will be posting it here.] FYI: I've a bit of a rep at PCAV for my off-the-wall sense of humor anyway... (am a pro writer who ADORES satire), but when I heard *this* particular joke I laughed so hard & rcvd the same response to all I told it to... Well, let's just say you'd be well-served to keep an eye out for it! (I WILL post it here, as well, but need give "my guys" at PCAV first dibs coz we've had so much fun in the past, together. [Am a Leo -- i.e, "loyal to the bone."])

Anyhoo~ have rambled way too long so...

Again~muchisimas gracias!:D

Love & light (& thanks!)

Silver (TOTALLY had 4gotten I'd used the old feminist saying about the ID of "anonymous" as my screen name, here, so that's yet *another* secret we share! :blink: (4-get abt blackmail tho' -- unless you want to share my dog [My most valuable "possession"])

Hi Silver,

Having the protection module set does not automatically ensure that the rules definition database will be updated, though it is required for automatic updates to occur.

The updater settings sub-tab is only intended for main program updates and proxy settings.

Have you set the update scheduler and assigned a recovery time? Please see here for an overview of the scheduler

Manual updates can be run from the Update tab regardless of the protection module settings. The program is designed to update while the protection module is running, and as stated above,in the case of automatic updates, it is required.

However, manual updates do require that you be running from a Windows administrator account.

If you are running from a standard limited user account, this option is grayed out because those types of users don't have privileges to make global changes that affect other users.

You can check the account type by going to Control Panel -> User Accounts.

If you try updating manually from an administrator account do you see any error messages?

Though not needed for updates, for future reference, you can untick the check box for Start with Windows on the Protection tab and reboot to gain control of the enable protection module setting. You can also right-click the tray icon and select Exit.