Broken open command

Hello

Sorry for going over old stuff but I've just been looking at the thread "Broken.open and Trojan.Agent" as I have Broken open.com which keeps coming back after Malawarebytes has cleaned it.

I've read a lot of the page on how to use Combofix and must admit I'm a bit afraid to do this after all the warnings on there.

What is "Brokenopen.com" and what risk does it pose please?

Thanks in advance

Richard

I haven't included any logs as it seems to report nothing malicious after cleaning but here is the quarantine files

brokenopenquarantine-1.jpg

Hi, Gardnerman:

Until someone more expert comes along, please have a look at the FAQ - Item #18. Scroll down to Item #18.

ISSUE: I keep getting the following detections, even after allowing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to fix them:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (NOTEPAD.EXE %1) Good: ("%1" /S)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (NOTEPAD.EXE %1) Good: (regedit.exe "%1")

SOLUTION: Most often when these two items return repeatedly it is due to the presence of an IOLO product such as System Mechanic. System Mechanic and other IOLO security products alter these settings from their Windows defaults. If you do have an IOLO product installed, it is best to simply change the security setting in your IOLO product so that it does not change the settings for .reg files and .scr files or that you simply have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore these particular detections. These entries are not actual infections, just system settings changes that are not set to their defaults, which is something that some infections will do to prevent .reg files and .scr files from executing, which is why Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware detects these items, since it has no way of knowing if the change was made by the user, an infection, or a legitimate software such as IOLO.

You are right to be scared to run Combofix -- it is not recommended to run special malware removal tools, such as Combofix, without expert help.

Doing so can seriously harm your computer and make it impossible to recover from the infection.

Please post back with your reply about the BrokenOpen detection, and let us know if this resolves the issue for you.

If not, and/or if you think you are infected, we will point you towards the 3 options for obtaining expert malware detection/removal assistance.

HTH,

daledoc1

Thank you for the reply.

I do have System Mechanic and it claims I have 472 registry problems, I used to allow it to fix but some time ago it started affecting AVG (which I no longer use) so I haven't do a fix with Sys'Mech' for months, I now have a purchased copy of ESET antivirus.

Yeah, those "registry cleaners" can be dangerous -- several threads here and at other computer forums about the risks involved. They can really damage your system.

Well, I'm just a home user and I don't run IOLO, but it looks from that FAQ article that there are some settings you can tweak in it to stop these detections.

They are pretty much a false positive.

Or, you could uninstall it altogether.

That said, if you are concerned that you might be infected, or if changing those settings doesn't resolve the BrokenOpen detections, then you might want to get expert assistance with checking and cleaning your system. If so, there are 3 support options from which to choose:

• Option 1 -- Free, Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 -- Free support for paying customers using MBAM PRO -- Contact MBAM Support via email
  • Option 3 -- Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in this General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so that a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• First, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot follow most/all of the requested steps, then please just proceed as advised below:
  • Then please post a NEW topic here.
  • When posting your new thread, please make sure that, under "options", you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you free, one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer such as (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Please DO NOT post back to your topic or "bump" it within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count from zero. Helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post, helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus may overlook your post. This will only delay your obtaining assistance.

• o If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
    o You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer using MBAM PRO, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

OPTION 3

If you would like to use the Malwarebytes Premium Services (Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs -- from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Malwarebytes Premium Services support site.

Please be patient -- someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

Thanks very much!

daledoc1