Virus Disabling Malwarebytes

Hello,

I recently acquired the Win32/Katusha.A virus. This virus is causing my Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to display the following message when I try to open it: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

The virus has also disabled my antivirus software and wireless internet access forcing me to plug in via an ethernet cable.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and extract it into a folder on the infected PC.
  • Execute the file TDSSKiller.exe by double-clicking on it.
  • Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • When its work is over, the utility prompts for a reboot to complete the disinfection.

By default, the utility outputs runtime log into the system disk root directory (the disk where the operating system is installed, C:\ as a rule).

The log is like UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt.

Please post that log here.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

-screen317

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Unfortunately, I've been struck by this nasty Katusha.A virus too. As far as I can tell, it's gotten itself into my browsers to redirect my searches to ad sites. It's really frustrating when you can't even open any of your anti-virus to chase the problem down. AVG is telling me that Katusha invited a Trojan in to join in all the fun (Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic14.AVBQ). I'm pretty worried that there might have been some I.D. theft going on, but I can't tell for sure. Malwarebytes tells me every half hour or so that it has blocked access to an outbound site, but I can't even open the main program. All I get is the system tray icon.

I've followed the instructions about TDSSKiller TDSSKiller.2.6.4.0_04.10.2011_14.28.58_log.txt and DDS dds.txt and I've got the logs attached and ready to go.

The thread doesn't offer any other advice, is there anything I can do?

To all those devoted Moderators out there, I thank you (especially you screen317) for the help and guidance you offer to complete strangers. It's nice to know that the internet isn't full of just the bad guys.

Hi All,

Same here :(

AVG 2012 tells me it has no Active Components (even though they appear to be set up correctly). Malwarebytes won't run. Neither will SuperAntiSpyware.

Also I get some sort of "GIT" Dos box pop-up almost everytime I use the mouse (can't read it properly as it flashes up and disappears), and right-click only works occassionally.

Attached is my log from tdsskiller, but DDS seems to freeze after 30 #'s (and stays there for well over 3 minutes).

Thanks for any help

Shando

PS: If my log from DDS ever pops-up I'll post again.

TDSSKiller.2.6.5.0_07.10.2011_07.57.34_log.txt

• Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!