Windows 7 - You do not have access or whatever !@#$ it says - the next step

Thank you very much for helping with this.

Symptoms - I have the error message, "Windows cannont access the specific Devise, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am the Administrator. I loss access to iTunes, but was able to regain access by deleting everything Apple related and re-installing. Loss access to Firefox and Adobe Reader 10. Tried to resolve both by Deleting and re-installing. Neither program has worked since. Java has been giving errors off and on. Needless to say I am frustrated.

DLed Malwarebytes', ran, report below

Avira ran and it found an infection in the Java programs. The file 'C:\Users\Team Hays\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\27\7061701b-6034b972' contained a virus or unwanted program 'EXP/CVE-2010-0094.H' [exploit] Action(s) taken: The file was moved to the quarantine directory under the name '488bf337.qua'. I deleted it from the quarantine.

Ran DeFogger Disabled CD Emulation, Ran DDS, ran GMER Rootkit Scanner, reports DDS, Attach and Ark are all attached. I added the date to the file names for tracking purposes.

And now I leave it in your hands to deliver me from this madness!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7521

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

8/20/2011 4:15:46 PM

mbam-log-2011-08-20 (16-15-46).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 208396

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Attach 2011.08.21.zip

DDS 2011.08.21.txt

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Please update MBAM, run a Quick Scan, and post its log.

Next, please visit this webpage for instructions for running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

• When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the contents of C:\ComboFix.txt along with a new DDS log so we may continue cleaning the system.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7569

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

8/25/2011 6:08:39 PM

mbam-log-2011-08-25 (18-08-39).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 209316

Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

All programs I try to start give the error message "File path name, Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." Luckily I have tow computers and was able to save ComboFix.txt to that drive and then attach it here.

I cannot post another DDS, because it is an Illegal operation.

At the moment, my fastest computer with all the programs we use the most is not working.

itsrich

ComboFix.txt

• Staff

Hi,

Next, please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  4. Click Start
  5. Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  6. Click Scan
    Wait for the scan to finish
  7. Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  8. Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Next, download my Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Let me know how things are running now and what issues remain.

Here is ESET and Security Check Logs

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:

OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK

OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.18

Windows 7 (UAC is enabled)

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!

Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

ESET Online Scanner v3

Adobe After Effects CS3 Presets

WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.

Avira successfully updated!

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

HijackThis 2.0.2

Java 6 Update 24

Out of date Java installed!

Adobe Flash Player 9 (Out of date Flash Player installed!)

Adobe Flash Player

Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-US..)

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

Avira Antivir avgnt.exe

Avira Antivir avguard.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

I still have the issue of not being able to run Firefox or Adobe because I do not have permission. I am going to re-install those program to see if this resolves the issue. I will post my results shortly.

Rich

Noticed the message that Java is out of date. So this was the first thing I attempted to fix. I went to Java homepage and ran the installer and got error message

"Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor"

Searching no how to resolve this.

Unistalled, re-installed the following programs. Java, Firefox, Adobe Reader X and Adobe CS3. Everything is happy accept Adobe.

Adobe Reader X gives the error "The item referred to by this chorcut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions"

Adobe CS3 installs all the base things, but not the suite of applications.

So Now to figure out how to gain Admin rights over Adobe programs.

I have done a great deal of searching on Google to find a resolution to the access denied issue I am having. It appears there have been many issues like this. One of the best discussions I have found it this one. http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/31370-windows-cannot-access-specified-device-path-file.html

Before switching to Avira (I figured if I was getting free advise on how to repair my issues, I should use the software recommended by the site) I was using Avast. While the article listed suggests the issue was related to anti-virus software, I have used Avast for years, never had an issue. Through this process, a virus was found. While this statement suggests Avast is not capable, I also have young boys (11 and 8) who play online flash games. While attempt to keep on top of it, I am sure they could have clicked on something,for that matter I could have also.

Since I changed Virus protection and the denied access issue did not resolve, there is something more. I am hesitant to go in and change the permissions without a better article describing how to do it. The only two programs at issue here are Adobe and Firefox.

Really the individuals helping me on this forum have done all that is needed when it comes to what their software does. I also was not running their software at the time I was infected. They have earned my business because of their efforts. I look forward to getting this access issue behind me.

Thanks for your work so far. I look forward to completion of the task.

Rich

Adobve Reader X steps to resolution...

1. Draged to Inherit

2. chose always open in unprotected mode

3. Ran it and got fatal Error: Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL

4. Adobe Application Icon is now the normal adobe icon, not the “Windows does not know what it is icon”

5. attempted to repair Adobe Reader x from the Control Panel and got Error 2349. Copy resumed with different info and the option to Abort, Retry or Ignore.

6. Did some Google work and found this error is often related to having a dirt install CD or DVD. That is not the case here. I think it has more to do with a bad file in the directory.

7. I chose retry and got the same error again, so now! Ignore!!

8. Ignore gave me Error 1304.Error writing to file C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Replicate\Security\directories.acrodata. Verify you have access to that directory.

8.1. This is a know error to Adobe they have solutions are for XP and Vista at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329117.html. There solution is to gain contol of the directory with the file that is having issues. The issue was also for other versions of Acrobat than Reader X. Inherit gives you control, see below.

9. So I tried to get to that directory and I got a “You do not have permissions” error. I drug the folder to Inherit and was able to get to C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Replicate\Security\ but did not find directories.acrobadata like the error message in step 8.

10. Rebotted the computer and found directories.acrodata. It has an icon with a padlock on it, so I dropped it on Inherit and attempted to reinstall.

11. Error 1310.Error writing to file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Javascripts\JSByteCodeWin.bin. Verify that you have access to that directory.

12. So I did the same steps in 9, but with C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Javascripts and rebooted.

13. Got an error message saying my Recycle Bin was currupt and did I wish to delete it. I did.

14. Ok, finally got smart. The install process was hanging on verious vfiles and folders. Ao instead of stopping the install program each time and rebooting, I dropped the file or folder the installer was not happy with and then click the retry button. It took a few more times and then things worked fine, Adobe Reader X is now working.

15. Finally, now to Firefox...

Firefox steps to resolution...

1 Dragged the firefox.exe to Inherit

2 chose always open in unprotected mode

3 ran it and got Application Error: The application was unable to star correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close application.

4 Firefox icon is still an unrecognized icon.

5 I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled and it now works from the directory only.

6 I did some google searching and found http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/756488, evidently Mozilla has seen this before.

7 I chose the option that kk1010 suggested to uninstall and completely delete the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox, but did not have to rename the application.ini file. The directory and all its sub directories deleted on the first run.

8 I reinstalled and now it works from the short cut on my desk top.

Thank you MBAM Sentinel for working me through all the steps to get this resolved. I now feel “whole” again that my computer is no longer cranky. My wife will also be happy.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I found a large number of people have stated having this problem, but very few completed the task of saying what they did and how they resolved it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!