Personal Shield/XP AntiV - A question before I begin please...

Hoib

Hi -

My brother-in-law's system (XP Pro SP3 with AMD dual-core, 4gB RAM, large disk 25% full) is infected with Personal Shield Pro and XP AntiVirus 2012. I have it at my house for cleaning. There are two accounts, his and his wife's. I used the self help guides (basically a run of MBAM) and worked his account. But the infection is still active on hers. They're both "admin" permitted (yep - we're going to change that!)

What should I have done to get to both accounts simultaneously? At present the system is so infected, in Safe Mode on her account, PSP or XP A/V starts up, comes in and takes over. That's a new one on me! Anyway, normal or safe mode, the system is now almost unusable, has trouble booting sometimes. A mess!

If I'm going to post logs for help, which account should I use? I can work alone with self-help, but I need to know how to get both accounts cleaned because history shows you do one and the other gets whacked.

Any help or direction appreciated.

H

Hi, Miss Elise and everyone else, I am experiencing something similar to http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=92976

Here's what happened:

1. I am on Vista SP2
  2. All of my browsers (FF, Chrome, IE) have been hijacked by some redirect malware: searchmagnified.com, fast-find-answers.com and an IP address url 63.209.69.107 that is probably Scour.com?
  3. The hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc is hosts.ics (icalendar file), and 4 other files, is this right for Vista SP2?
  4. Also, I experience a BSOD which says something about iastor.sys :((
  5. I used MalwareBytes, Esetscan, CCleaner, etc, but to no avail
  6. Should I also disable Windows Defender before I begin ComboFix? Is it very dangerous to use ComboFix? :'(
  7. All of this started only yesterday after I got infected by a rogue/scareware Security Protection and MB got rid of it.

Thank you all :'( I'm helping my little sister finish her homework hope we can complete it today.

Hi guys, can anyone help me? What should I do first? Download HiJack this?

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!