Virtual mode xp infected

OK, I have a unique situation here... I have a Windows 7 Professional with XP Mode installed (for software compatibility reasons).

The XP Mode has a really nasty rootkit of some sort, can't even run removal tools from safe mode. Unfortunately it's not like a normal machine, I can pull the hard drive and scan it from another computer. So, I am looking for ideas, other than backup files and delete and reinstall the VM. I suspect this may be the only viable option at this point, but willing to try anything.

TIA.

If anyone else runs into this issue, I used the Microsoft Security Sweeper @ http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper. Downloaded the ISO and then set the virtual machine to load the ISO as a CD. Then I followed this page to get the VM to boot from the CD (ISO): http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/59908-windows-virtual-pc-boot-cd-virtual-machine.html.

The VM must have 768MB RAM or more for the MSSS tool to run.

Once it ran and removed everything, I was able to reboot, re-enable integration features, and reinstall and run MBAM.

Hope this helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!