I think I have a virus preventing updates

I accessed a guitar review website last week and my webroot antivirus told me the site was bad. I exited, but apparently picked something up in the process. Computer started running slow, and won't let me update my definitions for malwarebytes or webroot, and I'm having trouble adding attachments to emails. I've run webroot and malwarebytes with the older definitions, and the computer is running faster, but neither program says it found anything (webroot disabled some cookies, but nothing it considered dangerous)

Some of the problem I think was caused by Webroot discontinuing their firewall service WITHOUT INFORMING ME!!! The firewall would crash and crash and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I emailed them and they said that service has been cancelled for some time! A little email telling me that I need to use a new firewall would have been nice, but apparently that was too much trouble for them >:[

When I try to update malwarebytes I get this message:

PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (536870914, 0, Timeout)

Webroot doesn't give any message, just fails to update.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Ideas?

Well, after several days with no updates, i've finally solved it. Downloaded mbam and rkill and reimage on another computer (I already had mbam and rkill but they were older version i guess) and saved them to a memory stick and then ran those on mine. Defragged. Did other updates for other programs. Also uninstalled and cleaned out webroot firewall since it is nonfunctional and no longer supplied or supported by webroot. Ran Windows defender. Multiple restarts. Now it works fine. Never found a virus except an older one that had been in quarantine for awhile. So I don't know what it was. But the computer is back to normal and everything has started updating properly again.

No, I think I've got it sorted out. I don't know what actually caused or fixed the problem. I hit it from every angle I could think of, and it's gone now, and everything updates properly. Webroot really let me down, though. I'm so disappointed that they never even informed me that their firewall was no longer supported, updated, relevant, or compatible. A simple email would have sufficed to tell me to run another firewall instead. My subscription to them renewed a few days ago. I'll probably cancel it after next year though, and buy another service that has bundled packages with firewall included, as I don't really trust Windows Defender... I imagine that people write the viruses with it in mind...

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Do you still need help?

• Staff

Okay thanks for letting me know.

I highly recommend the PRO version of MBAM; with it, it's likely that this issue would have been prevented in the first place.

Now that your computer seems to be in proper working order, please take the following steps to help prevent reinfection:

1) Download and install Javacool's SpywareBlaster, which will prevent malware from being installed on your computer. A tutorial on it can be found here.

2) Go to Windows Update frequently to get all of the latest updates (security or otherwise) for Windows.

3) Make sure your programs are up to date! Older versions may contain security risks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run Secunia's Software Inspector.

4) WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

5) Be sure to update your Antivirus and Antispyware programs often!

Finally, please also take the time to read Tony Klein's excellent article on: So How Did I Get Infected in the First Place?

Safe surfing,

-screen317

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!