hello guys

sorry to bother you again

but i noticed something wiered

when i first got this laptop 7 months ago i downloaded stuff from cnet

like jet audio and winrar

but today when i opened start >control panel>programs and features

i noticed that winrar is like that :

winrar 4.00 beta 4 (64-bit)

omg did i download and installed a beta version of winrar???

does this compromise my security in any way ?, i just noticed that today.

thanks

but when i looked at the setup file i didn't find any thing related to beta

There have been some beta versions on CNet for free, currently it's 4.0 beta 7 that is free for download.

The official versions are shareware, with 40 days of trial. The current version is 4.01 on CNet: http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-64-bit/3000-2250_4-10965579.html

Maybe you have downloaded a beta version because it was free?

ohh hello again :D (i know i'm an annoying user as i ask a lot) so you mean that all free versions of winrar are beta versions but if i want a well tested version i have to buy it ,right ? (please correct me if i was wrong)

thanks mystery ,thanks buttons

Well, on CNet the beta versions are labelled as free (hence I thought this was indeed the case), but since now I've read the user comments/reviews on CNet pointing out that this is not a correct information, it appears that Buttons is right, and beta versions are also limited to a 40-day trial.

So after 40 days you'd need to purchase it in any case.

ohh hello again :D (i know i'm an annoying user as i ask a lot) so you mean that all free versions of winrar are beta versions but if i want a well tested version i have to buy it ,right ? (please correct me if i was wrong)

thanks mystery ,thanks buttons

Hello. :) You're fine.:) No winrar is Shareware regardless of beta or final product(after testing is finished). Not exactly. You can probably download the latest stable release(non beta) from their website and try it for a bit. After 40 days it will disable itself until you purchase or remove it.

You're welcome.:)

Hi tito335,

Per casuality, I've just read your posts on the Secunia website (PSI) <_< and your concern about iTunes & Quick Time.

As soon as you install iTunes, it also installs the free version of Quick Time. This because iTunes needs QT to work properly (if you deinstall QT seperately, iTunes won't start correctly).

Hope this helps ...

okay guys :) thanks for the tip

but is it safe to leave that beta version without uninstallation ?

and i have some question regarding i tunes , quick time and k-lite mega codec pack

can i post here or should i start a new topic???

thanks

You're welcome.:)

Yes. :)

I'd recommend starting a new topic since it's not related.:)