Infected and can't run MBAM 'cause it won't update

I have a nasty malware infection that made nearly all my applications disappear, including my McAfee Security-as-a-Service (antivirus & firewall). I was able to install Avast antivirus but that's the only protective software that the malware would let me install. I tried to install MBAM but when it launches it begins downloading program updates and stalls. When a window appears with the title "Updating Malwarebytes' AntiMalware" and a progress bar that doesn't move with the caption "Connecting to server," I get a second window with the following message:

"An error has occured. Please report this error code to our support team.

PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (2, 0, I/O error)

The system cannot find the file specified."

When I launch Hijack This, I got the following error message:

"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this. If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click Start, Run and type:]

notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and press Enter. Find the line(s) HijackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts.' (with quotes), and reboot. For Vista: simply, exit HijackThis, right click on the HijackThis icon, choose 'Run as administrator'."

I clicked on 'OK' and saved the log file, hijackthis.log, which I'm attaching. I am not sure I understand the instructions given in the error message as I ran the log file edit instructions but could not find the reported lines "rhino.acme.com" or "x.acme.com" or their IP addresses in the file. I attached that file too in case anyone can help me make sense of this.

Any suggestions, ideas, advice, or condolences? :-)

David Orr

Fayetteville, Arkansas

hijackthis.log

hosts.txt

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

In the future, please post all logs directly into your reply instead of attaching them unless otherwise indicated.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!